ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

At the moment i seem to have SIJ problems. Without going through my list of injuries/pains, I would like to know what problems a tight hip flexor on my left side might cause? or what exactly would cause a tight hip flexor or hamstring on one side.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:56 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

get your glutes stronger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:41 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I have heard this many times :)

I'v payed 100's to get that same answer from physio's. I figured out that it was my sway back posture that was causing most of my problems.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:36 pm 

sav wrote:
I have heard this many times :)

I'v payed 100's to get that same answer from physio's. I figured out that it was my sway back posture that was causing most of my problems.

to be fair, there's a little more to it than simply strengthening glutes, but yeah, your sway back posture is an indicator that something's wrong.

And it's a nightmare to fix. Chances are you'll never fix it, but you can certainly improve it.

Get in the gym and get your glutes stronger. Doing things like glute activation work and core stuff at home on a daily basis will help but you need to get in the gym and strengthen the movement patterns.

every time you hit the gym do a few sets of bird dogs, glute bridges and side lying clams (youtube has descriptions of all of these) as part of your warm up. That should loosen you up a bit and give you the mobility you need to train efficiently.

be patient, it'll take time but you'll get there eventually.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:38 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks, i'll definitely do those exercises that were recommended. I think my sway back posture is due to the amount of time i spent sitting. Then trying to emphasize the glutes, i hyper extend during reps. I was aware of hyper extending, and i was sure i wasn't doing it because the movement felt natural.

Your advice was appreciated, thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:34 am 

sav wrote:
Thanks, i'll definitely do those exercises that were recommended. I think my sway back posture is due to the amount of time i spent sitting. Then trying to emphasize the glutes, i hyper extend during reps. I was aware of hyper extending, and i was sure i wasn't doing it because the movement felt natural.

Your advice was appreciated, thanks again!

yup, hyperextending is bad news. When you're doing thing like glute bridges, stop if you're feeling it in your lower back or hamstrings. That means your glutes have given up, and you're trying to activate them as much as possible. Doing glute work and getting a burn in the hams/lower back is the exact opposite of what you want, so stop the set, rest, then do another set, stopping when your glutes give up again.

good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:14 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks, my glutes are having a hard time activating, but its improving. As for squats or deadlifts, should my glutes be fatiguing before other muscles?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 pm 

sav wrote:
As for squats or deadlifts, should my glutes be fatiguing before other muscles?

not really, there's so much musculature involved in a squat or a deadlift, it's more a case of either finishing the rep or not. Squats you'll most likely feel most in your quads, but deads are more of a full body thing.

Don't worry about it. Just make sure you're squatting/deadlifting with good form and your glutes'll do just fine.

remember and warm them up before leg training though!