ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: comparison of 3 routines
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:28 pm 
former lurker

OK last year I followed the advise of:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/LowV ... ining.html

which meant that I pretty much did 8-10 different exercises in one session, with only 1 set per exercise, but lifting to muscle failure on each exercise.

After some more reading, I have read about 2 other techniques. Advise on which to go with this year would be appreciated.

Technique 2:
Less exercises but more sets
5 sets per exercise start with 1st set low intensity, 2nd set medium, 3rd set high but working up to muscle failure by the end of set 5.

Technique 3:
Less exercises but more sets
5 sets per exercise but start with maximum intensity, lowering weight each set and lift to muscle failure on each set.Set 5 would be as low as half the weight of set 1 but just as difficult.

THanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:26 am 
Novice
Novice

the whole body workout with one set per exercise was pretty much the norm back in the early part of the 1900's Its a good beginners workout and can also be used as a circuit routine by cutting down rest time between sets but will only get you so far.

Weider found out that by adding multiple sets added muscle and strength quicker...the more is better approach , as long as you dont over do it.

There are many different approaches to the multiple set principle. I suggest that by cycling your workouts between two or three of them is the best all round approach to ensure the best gains. Length of time per cycle depends on the person and how long they continue to get results...anywhere from four to twelves weeks usually. By cycling different routines, it also gives your body time to activly recover from the heavy cycles without losing time in the gym.

Scott Ismari

Post subject: What's your goal?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:34 am 
former lurker

It really depends what your ultimate goal is? As stated in the article, many tests have concluded that there is very little, if any, gains to be had by doing multiple sets.

Quote:
Hass et. al. (2000) compared the effects of one set verses three sets in experienced recreational weightlifters. Both groups significantly improved muscular fitness and body composition during the 13 week study. Interestingly, no significant differences were found between groups for any of the test variables; including muscular strength, muscular endurance, and body composition.

What you should be focusing on is the core goal of any weight training program - pushing your muscles to exhaustion. Do what ever routine works best for you to tire your muscles out. For me personally, I don't want to spend my life at the gym and so I exhaust my muscles in one set... :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]