ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:39 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi

I have been told that research has been done on the optimal duration of a resistance training session, that suggests 60 min is optimal. Apparently it has been scientifically proven that strength training for more than 60 minutes has a detrimental effect on your body due to body fatigue and the stabiliser muscles failing to assist the prime muscles.

I'm interested to see that paper but cant find it. Does anyone know what the title is or has a link to it?

Many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:15 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

In men at least, intense weight training has been shown to cause a temporary spike in testosterone, an anabolic (muscle building) hormone. However, exercising for more than an hour without without taking in any calories, can diminish this effect while increasing levels of cortisol, a catabolic (muscle destroying) hormone. This is also one of the reasons why marathon runners are so skinny.

Last edited by Matt Z on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:15 am 

I don't have an article but 60 minutes is a guideline. Optimal is probably closer to 45 minutes but may be up to 90 if properly hydrated and nutrients are consumed during the workout. (warmups are not counted in this) The big benefit of the shorter workout is the ability to work more intensly. A short intense workout will almost always provide more benifits than a long easy workout. This applies to both cardio and strength training.

Hormonal changes take place as the workout progresses. T levels drop and cortisol increases at about the 45 min mark. At this point the value of the workout deminishes and eventiually can negate the benifit of the workout.

Here's a fairly definitive discussion:
http://drsquat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2087

The general recomendation is 45-75 minutes and if you need to workout more, split into 2 workout.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:44 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

To me it's 40 minutes. But you can (vide supra) split it into two, which is fun if you've got the time. In the old days I'd workout Sunday morning, watch some football, then workout again in the evening.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]