ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Prep for CSCS test
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:33 pm 
n00b
n00b

Does anyone have any tips, resources (other than from the NSCA), etc to better my chances on the CSCS test? I've still got a while before I take it (taking my NSCA-CPT test first), but I'm starting early. Any additional info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

-JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:02 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Read the entire Essentials of Strength and Conditioning Text that the NSCA publishs...also there are practice tests and ideas on the NSCA website

There are specific sections on the test so make sure you study those sections of the book extra well. Do that and you should be fine.

Post subject: Re: Prep for CSCS test
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:59 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Hercules wrote:
Does anyone have any tips, resources (other than from the NSCA), etc to better my chances on the CSCS test? I've still got a while before I take it (taking my NSCA-CPT test first), but I'm starting early. Any additional info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

-JB

I took the CSCS exam in 1998. As shaf_43 noted, get the book (Essentials of Strength and Conditioning Text) if you don't have it already.

I re-read the book several times, took notes, went over them constantly.

I got the CSCS practice exam. It was very helpful.

In college, I found that I did well by making up practice exams and taking them several times. That is exactly what I did with the CSCS practice exam.

I would take the test. Grade it. Then review the answers that I got wrong. Reviewing meaning that I would re-read the information in the text so that I understood it more clearly...so, that I got the answer right the next time.

It similar to your coaching football, the more you practice, the better you get. That is exactly what I got from repeatedly taking the practice exam.

Interestingly, I kept getting one answer wrong on the practice exam...even after reviewing the material several times. The question was on the sliding filament theory.

In going over it with a friend of mine, I told him that I was right and the practice exam answer was wrong. My friend then read it and told me that I was wrong and the practice exam question was correct.

As you know, they mix fact with fiction as well as slightly change the wording on the exam statements.

In reading a question on the sliding filament theory, the practice exam switch the wording. The change occured with them replacing actin with myosin and myosin with actin in the sentence.

It was so minor that I overlooked it...thus, reading it wrong.

A great example of this is when I was in elementary school. The principle announced on the public address system that a "black boy's" jacket had been found on the play ground.

A few minutes later, the principle got back on the public address system with a correction. The principle stated that it was a "boy's black" jacket that had been found on the play ground...NOT a "black boy's" jacket.

No one questioned the principles mistake...except the English teacher.

By flipping the words of "boy's black" to "black boy's" it completely change the meaning. The same thing occured with the sliding filament theory statement. So, take time to read the statement and/or question.

Another thing that I learned from my friend is how to break a question down into parts. He had me read the first part, then he'd ask me if that part was true. Next, he had me read the second part of the statement and ask youself it that part was also true. That really helped me with the multiple choice and True/False answers.

Summary

!) Read Essentials of Strength and Conditioning..read, then re-read it.

2) Get the Practice Exam...keep taking the test until you get all the answer right.

3) In taking the test, read/comprehend the question. Is it a "black boy's jacket or a "boy's black" jacket.

4) Break the question down into parts. Is the first part true? Is the second part true?

Kenny Croxdale

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]