ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:40 pm 
former lurker

For cardio i am trying to use threadmill, i have been noticing other people who would jog for hours at high speed and maintain the momentum but in my case after brisk walk of 5 mins i can hardly run for 3 to 4 mins at high speed, a sharp pain starts under my ribs, get too exhausted and finally come back to brisk walk. My doctors says there is no problem. I fail to understand why i cannot run at high speed while other have no problem. Am i exerting myself too much or do i need to keep up with brisk up? pls help. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:43 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I expect you are trying to go too fast too soon. You need to build up progressively. Try monitoring your heart rate. Try to achieve progressively higher heart rates (start at 80 and build to 95% range) for a few minutes, then recover for a few minutes and repeat 3-4 times each workout. Once a week, try a slow jog for distance and gradually increase each week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:03 pm 
n00b
n00b

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Running on a treadmill is a different gait/stride than running on ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Keep in mind that not a single person starts out running at high speeds for long amounts of time.

I have a friend at my gym who when he started out ran 5mph for 5 minutes or less and over the course of two years built up to running at 8mph for an hour straight. Now he simply maintains that.

If you find running slower for distance is too hard try running short sprints. If you like to exercise outside run between one set of telephone poles then walk the next one. Gradually build up so you run between two sets of poles and walk between one and beyond.

Heck, you may not want to even run. Try the ellipticals or bikes, or strap a backpack on and go hiking outside! Not that I am against it but running is very hard on the knees. I think everyone needs to get into shape to run not run to get into shape...this is quoted from some trainer online...don't ask me who. :)

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:43 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

treadmill running isn't for everyone - i can't take it for more than 20 minutes myself. if it's strictly for cardio (and not for running/training) then an elliptical machine might be a good alternative.

are you already a good runner? is the problem that you have trouble specifically with running on the treadmill and NOT outdoors? or are you out of shape and overdoing it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:56 am 

It sounds like you are getting a stich in your side. If I was to guess, it is usually on your right side. If I remember correctly, focus on exhaling when your left foot hits the ground. That will help prevent your diaphragm from spasming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:33 pm 

And running ain't the only way to do cardio.

Cycling, swimming, barbell complexes, dumbbell complexes, kettlebell complexes, Latin dance, baby tossing, etc., etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:24 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Really? Baby tossing? I think we can all use Michael Jackson as a coach for that sport, oh wait that's baby dropping. Is baby tossing judged by getting into concentric rings or how far it goes? lol Doc you've been throwing out some nice little zingers lately.

On a thread related note. I almost feel that I get my heart rate up higher doing heavy deadlifts and squats than when I ride a bike at the gym or use the rower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 am 

Well, up until the baby tossing, it was a serious note. Running is not the only way to do cardio. There's lots of other stuff you can do in the gym and otherwise that will get your heart going and challenge your respiratory capacity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am 

I think we lost the OP any way. I guess we threw the baby out.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]