ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cramping
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:21 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok I'm not too sure exactly what causes cramping and I'd like to know how to get it to stop happening. While doing my leg workout Monday I hit my legs hard and its been a good 8 months since I have been in the gym. The workouts are as follows.

Deadlifts, Light deep squats, D-bell walking lunges and then I tried calf raises.

I couldn't find the calf raise machine because I was new at the gym. So I used the leg press machine loaded it up to 180 lbs, set my feet where they felt comfortable and then continued on to calf raises. I did one set twelve reps of that 180 lbs thing is at the top with complete extension with the calf raises my calves cramped up. I kept going getting all reps in hoping it would stop. Well it didn't I cramped both calves at the top of every rep. Although it wasn't a workout stopping problem I just couldn't make myself do another set because cramping is uncomfortable to say the least.

Is cramping caused from dehydration or over use of muscles? My calves didn't even get sore but yet my glutes my hams and my quads were gone DOMS setting in the next day and it's been four days and yea still hurting.

Solution= water? More rest? something? I'm sick of it... any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks...

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:03 am 

Dehyration will do it, so will some mineral deficiencies. Carry a water bottle to the weight room with you and make sure you eat your veggies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:40 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

thanks stu but i think i need to drink more water outside of the gym lol i drink three bottles there and then a protein shake right after kinda awesome... haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:16 pm 

Low potassium and calcium can cause cramping as well as dehydration. Make sure it's not DI water.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]