ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:25 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

ApolytonGP wrote:
I order you to post something in every thread I have started. Chop, chop!

I'll try mate but with all the threads you start I'll not have time to lift any weights!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:46 am 

hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:50 pm 
banned

Location: Banned for stupidity above and beyond the call of duty.
In my opinion, I wouldn't pay an extra 200 dollars to precise my already accurate estimate of my body fat percentage. There are tons of ways to use calipers, different caliper spots to use, and BF percentages online in which some of them are different, Im pretty shure you can make a rough estimate with all those combined in order to find an average. I think I would rather buy the airplane ticket. Think of it this way, there are around 5 different types of ways you can find your fat percentage with calipers; and 7 online BF calculators. I would just take those 12 different ways of finding your fat percentage, and averaging all of them. I've done this myself and most of them come up around 7% but even some of them are really high or really low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:54 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My PCP has a DEXA scan and they don't even use it for bf%. Just for bone density. This even though, they have branched out and are running some fat loss business as part of the practice. I called VCU also and they said they don't sell them even though their school has a lab of human performance or some such. Gotta find a provider now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

igquick wrote:
In my opinion, I wouldn't pay an extra 200 dollars to precise my already accurate estimate of my body fat percentage. There are tons of ways to use calipers, different caliper spots to use, and BF percentages online in which some of them are different, Im pretty shure you can make a rough estimate with all those combined in order to find an average. I think I would rather buy the airplane ticket. Think of it this way, there are around 5 different types of ways you can find your fat percentage with calipers; and 7 online BF calculators. I would just take those 12 different ways of finding your fat percentage, and averaging all of them. I've done this myself and most of them come up around 7% but even some of them are really high or really low.

That's because you don't have loose skin. We are talking about calipers not being accurate for people who have loose skin. We are not talking about 90%+ who can get a fairly accurate reading with someone who has a lot of experience taking the measurements.

When a person has loose skin, the fat is spread over a larger surface area. Therefore when you get a pinch, it is thinner and it measures you low.

Do you ever post on a thread where paraplegics are talking about wheel chairs and point out that you just walk everywhere you need to go.? Do you ever tell women what you would rather spend money on instead of maxi pads or tampons?

.....because that's about how much sense this makes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:24 am 

I asked the question earlier, and maybe it just sounded like I was being my usual sarcastic self, and didn't sound like a serious question. I really don't understand the utility of BF measurement. What difference does it make? Is there some BF% below which one should be content, and above which one should increase fat loss efforts? And, is this a level at which you wouldn't be able to make the same decision on another basis? I lost weight until I thought I'd lost enough, or even a bit too much, and then increased my food intake. Is it likely that I would have made these decisions differently if I had been following BF (measured by whatever method)? Would BF measurements help me make those kinds of decisions better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jungledoc wrote:
I asked the question earlier, and maybe it just sounded like I was being my usual sarcastic self, and didn't sound like a serious question. I really don't understand the utility of BF measurement. What difference does it make? Is there some BF% below which one should be content, and above which one should increase fat loss efforts? And, is this a level at which you wouldn't be able to make the same decision on another basis? I lost weight until I thought I'd lost enough, or even a bit too much, and then increased my food intake. Is it likely that I would have made these decisions differently if I had been following BF (measured by whatever method)? Would BF measurements help me make those kinds of decisions better?

Oh, yea, I didn't think it was a serious question.

I'm not sure that it would matter much in your situation. Plus in any situation, at the end of the day, it's how you look, and the number doesn't matter.

The main point for me, is just so I have a good idea of how much fat I need to lose. That way I know what to expect and how long it's going to take. It would be so nice to know about how much weight I will need to lose in my cut in order to get the look I want. If you think you need to lose 15 lbs and you do that and you still aren't there, that can be very frustrating. Then you're left wondering, do I lose 10 more? 15 more, or what?

It would be really awesome, just to know if you are close enough, to where this is cut, is your final one or not. That way you can set a good realistic goal to shoot for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:17 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

If the knowledge prompts me to decide to change my body composition to be 5 or 10 pounds less, than for me, that is significant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:24 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

So if they tell you it's 5% you can just go back to eating Twinkies, but if it's 20% you'll eat right?

Ideally I would like to have an accurate count every day so I could track how subtle diet/workout changes affected me, but that'd require doing these every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:22 pm 
banned

Location: Banned for stupidity above and beyond the call of duty.
Did you know your a looser and a nerd that is the admin of this stupid site? Did you know you are ignorant and probably don't get any...did you know you are probably fat and give the lame excuses for trying to get back at me for calling you a nerd?

psh...telling me what to say to women...fool I don't even have to say $h1t and I still get some...

DID YOU KNOW YOU USED TO PLAY DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS?!

well regardless for what admin retard has to say to me and Im probably going to get kicked out but who gives a rats ass, PEOPLE SHOULD STOP MAKING EXCUSES

ur admin pictures is fv(k ugly by the way just like you...too embaressed to put a face of you because your fv(k ugly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:34 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

igquick wrote:

I think he's aware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:10 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

igquick wrote:
Did you know your a looser and a nerd that is the admin of this stupid site? Did you know you are ignorant and probably don't get any...did you know you are probably fat and give the lame excuses for trying to get back at me for calling you a nerd?

psh...telling me what to say to women...fool I don't even have to say $h1t and I still get some...

well regardless for what admin retard has to say to me and Im probably going to get kicked out but who gives a rats ass, PEOPLE SHOULD STOP MAKING EXCUSES

ur admin pictures is fv(k ugly by the way just like you...too embaressed to put a face of you because your fv(k ugly...

???? again you make no sense...why such an outburst ????

You'll find that Ironman represents pretty much what we all think, if you can't handle meaningful discussions, you can always go play on the tmuscle forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:03 am 

aha remind me not to post on this site while drunk

Last edited by NightFaLL on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:22 am 

Just ban him already. He's provoking fights, posting bogus stats, and not contributing one iota of useful information to the forums. AKA, a troll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:49 am 

Yeah. And he called Ironman ugly. Away with him.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next