ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dissertation Ideas?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:14 pm 

I've got to start thinking about what I want to do my project on for my degree. I'm doing a BSc. in Exercise and Nutrition so the possibilities are endless which is annoying because I have an interest in everything so find it hard to decide. It can basically be anything to do with nutrition, physiology, kinesiology or even just public health.

It has to be something that's quite short term, for example I was thinking about having participants doing HIIT on no carb, low carb and high carb pre workout meals (first meal of the day), and looking at whether it affects performance and if fat or carb is primarily being burned. But thinking about it, I don't think I'd get significant results considering none of the participants will be on a low carb diet, so will struggle with out any during exercise.

Another much simpler idea I had was trying different positionings of an exercise, eg Squats, and using an EMG to see if certain muscles are respond more.

These are literally just off the top of my head and I have a LOT of thinking to do. I don't think I'll do any of the above but it was a start.

I was just seeing if there's anything anyone would be interested in testing and perhaps it would give me some ideas?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 pm 

I would love to see the results of the first idea you've posted, it's always been something I'm curious about.

I'm currently on a somewhat keto diet ( Just had my refeed during the game tonight ) and I prefer HIIT cardio to LISS cardio, but I'm doing LISS simply because I'm under the impression that HIIT cardio will cause me to use carbs which means my protein would be converted as I don't have any in my system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:07 pm 

I think it would be a good study but because none of the participants will be on a low carb diet, I think the results will just show that you need carbs for everything which is not what I want to get from it. I can't put them on a low carb diet either because it would never happen if i asked them and I need something to test short term.

Lately I've been thinking about them NO products and to see if there's any significant increase in either endurance and strength with weights or performance with cardio. I'm giving myself the weekend to think, I've got a lot of reading to do because I need to arrange a project supervisor to overlook and guide me. Although this isn't until next year, I want to get someone I get on with and who has a good interest in what I want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:29 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

How about a study on whether diet sodas, water, or sugar sodas make you snack more. :) Randomly give participants one of them, then later offer a bag of chips. Of course you'd have to conceal the real reason they're there and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:04 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I did a longer dissertation. I think the key thing is to pick something that you know is doable. Sure, make it in something interesting. But for sure, pick a doable problem.

Would also recommend some serious library time. In a way, this may be the most value that you bring forward, is just the literature review. And it will also help you be more strategic about what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:34 pm 
n00b
n00b

Nevage -

I would arrange a meeting with a potential tutor to discuss your ideas further. Often tutors already have a few potential research titles lined up for upcoming dissertation students who are interested in their particular area of expertise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:01 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

NightFaLL wrote:
I would love to see the results of the first idea you've posted, it's always been something I'm curious about.

I'm currently on a somewhat keto diet ( Just had my refeed during the game tonight ) and I prefer HIIT cardio to LISS cardio, but I'm doing LISS simply because I'm under the impression that HIIT cardio will cause me to use carbs which means my protein would be converted as I don't have any in my system.

NightFall,

A possible solution to maintaining a low carb diet and gluconeogensis (conversiton of protein to glycogen) is to consume Medium Chain Triglycerides, MCTs.

As you're probably aware, MCT are "carb like" in their digestion time and can be used for energy production.

Here's an article on them. http://www.answers.com/topic/medium-chain-triglycerides

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:57 am 

Just to let you know (as this has been bumped) that I've got an area of research now.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]