ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:49 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok long story short at the gym last week I didn't have a workout partner so I decided to do deep squats with the smith machine. It was painful I felt pain in my knees and in my back and I only did 2 plates each side so what 195lbs? I cold only do three sets cause it hurt.

Yesterday I went with the squat rack and I did 225 lbs and I did my deep squats and I did five sets. It was tough and satisfying but I didn't feel the pain in my knees or back. Is that because the smith is...kinda like stuck where it is?

Whats everyones take on the smith compared to the squat rack or not using the smith for any workout?

I have seen others decline bench incline bench upright rows shrugs etc on the smith. I just feel that it limits range of motion and hinders you more than helps, after last week I will not use it again...

Thanks

John Corless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:38 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I never use the smith except for calf raises, but I tried it out a while back for the squat. I can normally squat 240 or so, and on the smith, the restrictive range of motion killed me and I had a hard time doing a plate on each side(60kg).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:09 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Personally, the only thing I use the smith for is - Inverted rows, those Tricep creeper/ladder things (body weight tri extensions, start low, rep out, then go higher, rep out, etc), and finally, I use them for push ups with clients who are can't do them on the floor (or can't do many).

I only use it for these because it's there. Otherwise, I think it's pretty useless... In my personal opinion, anyway.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:45 pm 
n00b
n00b

A wise man once told me... Smith Machines were invented by someone stronger than you and if you use one they will remain stronger than you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:09 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Glad I'm not the only one who dislikes the smith. High five people!! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't like the smith either. Except maybe for calves or letting your towels dry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:40 am 

Ironman wrote:
I don't like the smith either. Except maybe for calves or letting your towels dry.
They are useful for a lot more than that! Tee shirts, socks, hats, decorative mobiles. The list is endless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:48 am 
Novice
Novice

I have to disagree, i think the smith is a valuable addition to any gym.... it keeps the morons out of my power rack!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:23 am 

Do they ever do curls on the Smith?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:10 am 
Novice
Novice

I haven't seen anyone attempt them yet but at times there can be a queue of people waiting to squat, bench, press and even D/L (??!!!!) in the smith, all the while the rack is empty. Smith machines seem to be like humming bird feeders to the average uneducated gym rat, load up and grunt your head off, no technique required!

But more power to them i say, as it means i can warm up and jump straight into the rack, which forms the basis for a good 75% of my training!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:11 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
Do they ever do curls on the Smith?

I've seen this happen. Instead of realizing that the range of motion by the smith was no good for curls whatsoever, he basically walked and curled. Started, hands down, grasping bar. Lifted, took a step back, then at the peak, he stepped closer again.. then back, then closer, et cetera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:09 pm 

That would have been fun to watch. Of course, if the gym had not had a Smith, he would have been in the power rack!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:46 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

So Yea no more smith machine for me except maybe if i ever get back into heavy shrugs.

Back do deep squatting i have been doing it at the power rack and it has felt a hundred times better minus the ripped shorts.

5x12 225 lbs deep squat 60 reps total by the last three on the fifth im beat love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do shrugs in a rack. Just set the bars to the right height and put the barbell on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:11 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Roger that ironman....Sometimes I think common sense eludes me haha. I had a friend once shrugging 4 something it was crazy dudes gloves ripped.... nuts

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next