ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:17 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a weakness and it irritates me. My traps and my upper back. I want to get very big traps and I'm doing back and biceps tonight.

I'm thinking to do shrugs upright rows tbar rows bent over rows and deadlifts hoping to get my traps and back bigger. Am I wrong? Whats the best mass building upper back workout?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:29 pm 

Deadlifts, rows, and chinups. Finish with farmer's walks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:49 pm 

I've never trained my traps directly, Deadlifts do enough for them for me. I wouldn't want them too much bigger, I don't like the no-neck look!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:53 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good thing for me I was blessed with a giraffe neck so I have some room for improvement hahhaa Ok thanks guys going there now.

Will report back what my traps think about me kicking their a$$ hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:52 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just added shrugs to my own plan, but then I was doing some research and wound up looking at rippetoe's videos for the press, and found out my form was bad. If you do it the way rippetoe suggests, you're really squeezing your traps at the top, and after doing it that way for the first time, not only did my press go up, but my traps were also affected(And are still a bit sore).

Here's one of them - you should be able to find many more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbswrStK8cs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:49 am 

So do deadlifts get the type of trap work that would cause hypertrophy, though?

I've been skipping shrugs just to lower my volume as I was assuming deadlifts would hit them adequately for hypertrophy - is this a solid assumption?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:53 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

NightFaLL wrote:
So do deadlifts get the type of trap work that would cause hypertrophy, though?

I've been skipping shrugs just to lower my volume as I was assuming deadlifts would hit them adequately for hypertrophy - is this a solid assumption?

doesn't really seem to hypertrophy my upper trap all that much, but hammers my lower traps.

I dunno i reckon for bodybuilding purposes you'd probably need the shrug or some sort of olympic variation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:54 pm 

Nevage wrote:
I've never trained my traps directly, Deadlifts do enough for them for me. I wouldn't want them too much bigger, I don't like the no-neck look!

me neither, i actually had to stop training shrugs because my traps were starting to dominate my upper body. I'm still to this day playing catch up, trying to get my delts in proportion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some people have traps that grow easy and some don't. Mine tend to lag, so I do more shrugs to even it out. My biceps need extra work too. But then legs I don't have to worry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:14 am 

robertscott wrote:
Nevage wrote:

me neither, i actually had to stop training shrugs because my traps were starting to dominate my upper body. I'm still to this day playing catch up, trying to get my delts in proportion

Exactly the same as me, I find my rear delts and Lats painfully hard to bring out because my Traps dominate my back area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:57 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I want to do as much as I can for my back traps lats and delts etc. I havent really worked shoulders that much and recently got a new workout partner this past week so im pushing it and doing things better and differently than I have in the past. I used to completely neglect my delts.

Yesterday I hit my delts alone giving them their own day. I do legs monday tuesday is chest and triceps wednesday is back and biceps thursday is shoulders and today was legs.

Sorry I got off topic there i was bringing up delts because it seems if I work my delts diet correctly and also get my cardio in and build up my delts it will create separation from my traps making my traps appear bigger.

I recently did some posing in the buff with a huge mirror and I was kinda happy. But my traps and lats still need work. Always always a work in progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:39 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

If you're going for body building as opposed to useful strength, I can see shrugs maybe having a place. I feel like deadlifts and such activate a slightly lower part of the traps than do shrugs. My muscle mass seems to be building more around the shoulder-joint level, and that's where the doms is. Shrugs feels like it hits slightly higher, so if you want traps visible in a mirror you might need shrugs.

Looking at anatomy layout, this would seem to make sense. Once the shoulder is raised above it's normal position, it needs to rely on traps at higher attachment points on the neck in order to have something above it to still pull up even higher.

I stopped shrugs a while back though since I'm going for strength/health and it just seemed like such a contrived/non-functional movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:50 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

John, I would recommend what Starr calls "power shrugs". They're a dynamic movement used by O lifters to power ize their final pull. It's a short range movement, done explosively. Use either/or/or rotate/ between a clean and snatch grip. Start with a bar in the rack (or can be done from the hang) at just above knee level. Drive the hips into it, and kick/shrug. No need to consciously bend the arms, they will bend just due to bar momentum. With a snatch grip the bar should travel past the belt, and w/ snatch grip, it should approach sternum level. A good combination for both size and strength. Ever checked out the traps on an OL type?
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:37 pm 

TimD wrote:
John, I would recommend what Starr calls "power shrugs". They're a dynamic movement used by O lifters to power ize their final pull. It's a short range movement, done explosively. Use either/or/or rotate/ between a clean and snatch grip. Start with a bar in the rack (or can be done from the hang) at just above knee level. Drive the hips into it, and kick/shrug. No need to consciously bend the arms, they will bend just due to bar momentum. With a snatch grip the bar should travel past the belt, and w/ snatch grip, it should approach sternum level. A good combination for both size and strength. Ever checked out the traps on an OL type?
Tim

tried these once and it's REALLY hard to hold onto the bar, as much as I hate to admit it i think I'd have to use straps if I was going to try these again. Felt like a great exercise though. When TimD speak, wise man listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:29 pm 

Definately use the straps. It's an overload movement for the top of the last pull in OL, AND to shore up the upper back for Deadlifting. Starr recommends straps, plus a weight over your best clean, or even over your best DL. It's not a grip exercise.
Tim

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next