ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol: The Doc's been on a roll with the pwnage. Nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:25 am 

igquick wrote:
Fine, this post is dead anyways. What Im trying to say is that if your muscles are getting bigger, they are probably getting stronger.

Musclular strength for bigger muscles. Muscular endurance makes you more cut. This ain't true?!

No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:31 am 

igquick wrote:
Fine, this post is dead anyways. What Im trying to say is that if your muscles are getting bigger, they are probably getting stronger.

Musclular strength for bigger muscles. Muscular endurance makes you more cut. This ain't true?!
[/quote]

And I'll also reiterate.. no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:48 am 

Muscular endurance activities can promote hypertrophy, just look at a cyclists legs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:32 am 
banned

Location: Banned for stupidity above and beyond the call of duty.
pwnage? I smell a nerd.

Also, how are abs 100% diet? I don't diet at all and I've had a six pack my whole life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:39 am 

igquick wrote:
pwnage? I smell a nerd.

Also, how are abs 100% diet? I don't diet at all and I've had a six pack my whole life.

Then obviously your Diet is in Check.

Quote:
Noun
the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group:

Verb
to select or limit the food one eats to improve one's physical condition or to lose weight

source: Dictionary.com

I must be feeling generous today..

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:49 am 

igquick wrote:
pwnage? I smell a nerd.

If being a nerd means you did your research before you post, there are lots of proud nerds here.

Just because something works for you does not mean that it works for anyone else. For most people, especially those not naturally lean, or people over 30, abs are built in the k-word. My son has better abs than me but if I ate like him, I'd be fat. When I was your age (I think you said you were mid-20s) I could eat all I wan't and I always had defined abs. That ended when I turned 30.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:49 pm 

Nevage wrote:
Muscular endurance activities can promote hypertrophy, just look at a cyclists legs.

Cyclists actually have pretty normal size legs, they're just super lean which is why they look even remotely impressive.

They also do weight training, not just cycling, which is where most of their leg strength/size comes from.

Endurance activities actually promote catabolism of muscle, not hypertrophy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:50 pm 

igquick wrote:
pwnage? I smell a nerd.

This is genetics, more than anything else.

I feel like you should probably be on bodybuilding.com forums, they'd probably accept your 'knowledge' more than it will be accepted here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:40 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

1. Being cut comes from body fat, almost entirely, not from rep range.

2. Muscular size is driven by high load activities, but many people overestimat the importance of reps. You can build muscles with lots of singles, with 5s, with 10s, even a lot of growth with 20s. Very long duration activities like biking or running is a different matter of a different magnitude.

3. some muscles (e.g. calves) seem to respond to daily activities and load of that nature. Even upper body growth can result from daily activity (e.g. gymnasts that don't even do much strength work, even body weight, but that swing rings and p-bars, which are still relatively high strength anaerobic activities).

4. There is a lot we don't know about hypertrophy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:55 pm 

There is a rough, but not strict correlation between hypertrophy and strength. Just look at the difference between power lifters and body builders. Both are strong, and both have big muscles. But pound-for-pound, PLs are stronger, and for equivalent strength BBs are bigger. You can increase strength without much increase in size and vice verse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

igquick wrote:
pwnage? I smell a nerd.

:grin:
Was that really your first clue? :lol: I was talking about being a Unix engineer, it doesn't get much geekier than that. I've admitted to playing Dungeons and Dragons, being into sci-fi and fantasy, and I've read books by people like Bertrand Russell, Friedrich Nietzche, Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens, Stenger..... I read the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe in Junior high. I read short stories and novels by Ray Bradbury and Charles Dickens without it being assigned to me in school. I listen experts in various fields give lectures on any subject I happen to be interested in.......I was on dial up BBSes before there was an internet. I learned how to do basic software hacking in 8th grade.

So yea... I take geek to a whole new level.

I never looked like a nerd though. In my teens and 20's I looked more like a member of the Hells Angels than a nerd. :evil: There was a time when people would lock their car doors when I walked by :lol:

So I'm very weird to the least. Unique you might say.

As to the last sentence..... You are very lucky. I hope you realize how awesome those genetics are. Most people aren't so fortunate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:58 am 

NightFaLL wrote:
Nevage wrote:

Cyclists actually have pretty normal size legs, they're just super lean which is why they look even remotely impressive.

They also do weight training, not just cycling, which is where most of their leg strength/size comes from.

Hmmm, I know quite a few people that take part in triathlons regularly and do no weights or never have done and their legs are quite impressive. Although endurance exercise is catabolic, and hypertrophy isn't the aim, I still think it promotes hypertrophy (at least in trained athletes, not the recreational one). Maybe cycling was a bad example as it isn't purely endurance, there's bouts of higher intensities (hills) and sprints which probably has more of an impact.

Also, you could say GVT was an endurance type training routine, and that's renowned for hypertrophy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:22 am 

Nevage wrote:
NightFaLL wrote:
Nevage wrote:

Hmmm, I know quite a few people that take part in triathlons regularly and do no weights or never have done and their legs are quite impressive. Although endurance exercise is catabolic, and hypertrophy isn't the aim, I still think it promotes hypertrophy (at least in trained athletes, not the recreational one). Maybe cycling was a bad example as it isn't purely endurance, there's bouts of higher intensities (hills) and sprints which probably has more of an impact.

Also, you could say GVT was an endurance type training routine, and that's renowned for hypertrophy.

I, personally, think GVT is overrated - but that's my opinion.

I'm not saying it wouldn't cause some hypertrophy if nutrition was right - it's like if I went and did bench and only had 135lbs worth of weight, all I would be able to do is do it for more reps - because I didn't have more weight to do it with. Of course, initially there will be some hypertrophy but it will taper off pretty quick.

The reason is because the single most important aspect of hypertrophy is progressive overload, you don't get that with endurance activities.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2