ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:48 am 

I have noticed a few things that Bret Contreras has written. His articles on the glutes are full of new, useful and well-supported information.

Now I've come across this: Puppies in Vices: The Deleterious Effects of Sitting

This is a rather long summary, crammed with information, and references to research papers or to published summaries, rather than any detailed discussion of the research. It's kind of like having a month's supply of food dumped on you at once. I'll have to read it again, probably several times.

It reinforced much of what I already believe about the lumbar spine and about low back pain, including the importance of training the "core" to resist movement, rather than to increase ROM, the importance of good posture and good posture habits, and the importance of mobility at the segments above and below the lumbar spine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:46 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I really like his stuff as well. Thought this was a great read and a very in depth summary of all the crap your lower back can go through when other joints in your body aren't up to much. It's unusual to get so many references in a blog post, too!

Take home points for me include:

-Get strong glutes

-Move around more

-Stop doing sit ups

-Don't stretch the lower back

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:36 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Excellent read Doc. It explains a lot. Now that I'm retired, I've been supplementing by driving a cab, which usually means sitting for 12 hrs/day, 5 or 6 days week. I don't have the low back pain so much, but do get a REALLY sore butt (tightness in the hip flexors).. What I've found to combat this is I keep a pair of DB's and a KB with me and in between trips, I have to get out and do some swings, cleans or snatches to "loosen up". I'm going to read deeper into that article and check out his recommendations as well.
Great post, TKS
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:04 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Great read. Part of what I do is on-site fitness and wellness programs for companies and I've worked with both blue collar and white collar workers on this. The white collar workers tend to have the anterior tilt mentioned as well as a forward head and protracted shoulders. I've noticed that the blue collar workers have the opposite. I will typically see posterior tilted pelvis and with the same protracted shoulders and forward head.

So:
White Collar = desk job and anterior tilt (J-Lo butt)
Blue Collar = on feet all day and posterior tilt (flat back, no butt)

Both cases usually have forward head and protracted shoulders. Just my observations.

Martin Rooney had a similiar article on EFS that went more into obesity and processed foods. He says the human race is weeding itself out. Here's the link

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/i ... manifesto/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:10 am 

2 posts and 2 spams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:15 am 

It's a Swiss ball on a cute little base! We should all have them. And just 161 Aussie dollars!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]