ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:59 pm 
former lurker

(I accidentally posted this in another forum topic. Let's try it here, instead...)

I work with triathletes. Many of them understand the value of strength conditioning for their sport from an injury management perspective. However, there are some rather loud voices out there who have the following to say:

"There are a ton of studies, easily searchable, showing the benefits of caffeine and interval training on performance. There is nothing out there correlating weight training with increased performance in endurance sports. There is also nothing out there correlating weight training with reduced chance of injury in endurance sports. Zip, zilch, nada. It's not like this stuff hasn't been looked at, extensively, for decades. Science, it works. Be a science person or be an intuition person. Just please don't pick and choose as suits your mood. Science is not an a la carte menu, it is a chef's tasting. You sit down and eat everything you are given. Some of it may be delicious and some of it may be a bitter potion indeed."

I'd love to hear your thoughts. (And, no, you don't have to preach to me. I'm on board the strength train. I want the SCIENCE.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:43 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stu had some awesome science in regards of the subject.
I think this is quite the funny thing. Strength training is important, but on the same time, hardcore endurance -sports like marathons and ultramarathons, triathlons etc. tend to break down muscle and inhibit all kinds of strength and muscle gains. There are some things in long-duration endurance events that don't quite correlate on the benefits of strength and resistance training in general. But to say it's absolutely useless or that there ain't no reasons or evidence that strength isn't a factor is stupid.