ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:03 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hello,
I was involved in a car accident many years ago, since then have been weight training for over 10 years now and enjoy exercising.
because of my accident, I have a rod in my left femur and left hip, my left leg is about 3/4" shorter than my right.
My leg quad muscle is more developed than my right as Ive built it up quite abit.

since all my training, I get alot of lower back pain especially QL, area,
But i just started to noticed, my left knee if starting to click quite abit especailly when biking off the seat, for cardio.
I train legs twice a week, one day heavy with rep range of 8-12 4-5 sets, of leg press, smith machine squats wide stance to normal, single leg presses, leg extn, leg curls, dead-lifts, lunges etc, changing exercises around weekly,
then on my other day, high reps of 25-50, cirucit training or more like polymetric,

I train six days a week, single muscle groups per day, or split training, eg
AM Monday shoulders PM Triceps & abs
AM Tuesday Legs
WEdnesday rest day
AM Thursday Back, PM biceps & Abs
AM Friday Glutes, hamsgtrings, PM Calves
AM Saturday chest

Cardio 6x per week 50-60 mins am cardio, 5x weekly eveing 30 mins bike
any suggestions people,
BTW Im a figure competor in NZ.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

How old are you?

2 things pop out: plyometrics and lots of cardio. Plyometrics are hard on your joints and connective tissue, especially if you're older. Extensive cardio is also hard on your joints due to the highly repetitive nature of the exercise.

You might want to switch up you rcardio to something like kettlebell swings and snatches or sled pushing, etc to give your knees a break.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:27 am 
n00b
n00b

You say you have lower back pain, particularly QL. This indicates 2 things to me, weak external rotators of the hip and/or a weak lower back. Now you say you do back, but not alot of people realise what that actually means.
You can try using a tight rubber band around your knees when you do deads and squats, if you do those. This will force you to activate ext rots more. Or do one leg squats with a ball held against the wall with your up leg.
Also get on the 45deg roman chair and do actual lower back work, being mindful to keep your pelvis still and only moving through your back. Alot of people get this wrong by activating hip extensors to help with 'lower 'bacl' exercises when really they are just cheating.
You also have an imbalance in your hip flexors which is producing uneven force through rec fem onto your hips. So odds are your right QL feels tighter than your left. Time to back on the right hip flexor or up the left. I'd suggest 1 set less on the left side than the right for quads. Asymmetries will cause you more grief than someone without a structural difference in their anatomy and if youre a figure competitor you want as much symmetry as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:12 am 

Brisbane--Welcome to the forum. You obviously have some knowledge, and it would be great to have you involved in some of our conversations. The threads that you have posted on aren't conversations, for the most part. Notice that they are several months old, and the original poster hasn't shown any ongoing interest. So you may be wasting your effort replying to them. Try just getting involved in 1 or 2 threads that are active, (here and in the "general" sections) and you'll find you can contribute much better.

Thanks for getting involved!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:38 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

You might also want to look at your hip mobility (if they are tight) and also ankle stability. If you lack ankle flexibility, your feet will turn outwards naturally which can cause knee issues and would be due to overcompensation.