ExRx.net
http://exrx.net/forum/

Bench Press Query
http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9288
Page 1 of 1

Author:  mr_positive [ Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Bench Press Query

Is it normal to feel like a gap or void when doin bench press. You'll notice it when the bar is already touching your chest and when your about to push it up, you would suddenly feel the gap of strength. Usually from 0-2 inches from you chest. Of course this is only applicable or you will only notice it when lifting heavy weights. Is it just me or this is something that needs to be trained?

Author:  Jungledoc [ Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bench Press Query

Have you previously been training with a full ROM? Some people only bring the bar down to an inch or 2 from the chest. If you have previously trained that way and now you are training full ROM, it is possible that you'd feel weak right at the chest. If that's the case, just continue to use full ROM. You might correct this by doing pause presses. You'll have to use lighter weight than you otherwise would. Bring the bar down to the chest and pause with it there for about 5 seconds, then push it up.

Author:  KenDowns [ Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bench Press Query

If I understand the question, that might be what we call the sticking point. You are pressing up off your chest, moving along great, and suddenly the bar slows significantly. Closer to your max it may stop altogether and you miss the lift.

If it always happens at the same point then you are in luck, you have found a weakness to fix :grin:

Author:  mr_positive [ Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bench Press Query

I always do full ROM and i only notice the issue when I'm lifting my max. Usually on the last 2 set of my bench press. Here is my log for bench press:

Warm up: 12 reps - 110 lbs (including the bar)
Set 1: 12 reps - 110 lbs
Set 2: 12 reps - 120 lbs
Set 3: 12 reps - 120 lbs
Set 4: 12 reps - 130 lbs
Set 5: 12 reps - 130 lbs
Set 6: 10 reps - 140 lbs
Set 7: 10 reps - 150 lbs

I feel the gap on set 6 and 7. My weight is: 144lbs.

Author:  stuward [ Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bench Press Query

mr_positive wrote:
I always do full ROM and i only notice the issue when I'm lifting my max. Usually on the last 2 set of my bench press. Here is my log for bench press:

Warm up: 12 reps - 110 lbs (including the bar)
Set 1: 12 reps - 110 lbs
Set 2: 12 reps - 120 lbs
Set 3: 12 reps - 120 lbs
Set 4: 12 reps - 130 lbs
Set 5: 12 reps - 130 lbs
Set 6: 10 reps - 140 lbs
Set 7: 10 reps - 150 lbs

I feel the gap on set 6 and 7. My weight is: 144lbs.


That's a lot of volume before your strength set. For training strength, that would be less than optimal since you're fatiquing your muscle before the weight gets heavy. As a size building workout, it may still be less than optimal as you would do better to train heavier earlier and then reduce weight as you fatique.

Normally ramping the weight is done with fewer reps to avoid fatique, more a warmup/acclimatation. 3-5 reps is enough. Then your top set will be stronger. Once that set is over, you can reduce weight and add volume sets. I think you would have better results both from a strength and size point of view.

Author:  Kenny Croxdale [ Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bench Press Query

mr_positive wrote:
Is it normal to feel like a gap or void when doin bench press. You'll notice it when the bar is already touching your chest and when your about to push it up, you would suddenly feel the gap of strength. Usually from 0-2 inches from you chest. Of course this is only applicable or you will only notice it when lifting heavy weights. Is it just me or this is something that needs to be trained?


0-4"

You are at you weakest biomechancial position from 0-4 inches off you chest.

So, 0-2 inches falls into that area.

The higher you push the weight, the easier it gets. You are in a much stronger position, everyone is.

Blast Off Strength

Increasing strength off the chest means you need to train that range.

1) Performing the bench press off the chest with a long pause.

2) Partial 0-2 inch bench press, only.

3) Isometrics from the 0-2 inch position.

Increasing Power

Increasing power off the chest means you need to develop the stretch reflex.

Performing the bench press with a slight touch and go bounce off the chest will do that.

Kenny Croxdale

Author:  Kenny Croxdale [ Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bench Press Query

stuward wrote:
mr_positive wrote:
I always do full ROM and i only notice the issue when I'm lifting my max. Usually on the last 2 set of my bench press. Here is my log for bench press:

Warm up: 12 reps - 110 lbs (including the bar)
Set 1: 12 reps - 110 lbs
Set 2: 12 reps - 120 lbs
Set 3: 12 reps - 120 lbs
Set 4: 12 reps - 130 lbs
Set 5: 12 reps - 130 lbs
Set 6: 10 reps - 140 lbs
Set 7: 10 reps - 150 lbs

I feel the gap on set 6 and 7. My weight is: 144lbs.


That's a lot of volume before your strength set. For training strength, that would be less than optimal since you're fatiquing your muscle before the weight gets heavy. As a size building workout, it may still be less than optimal as you would do better to train heavier earlier and then reduce weight as you fatique.

Normally ramping the weight is done with fewer reps to avoid fatique, more a warmup/acclimatation. 3-5 reps is enough. Then your top set will be stronger. Once that set is over, you can reduce weight and add volume sets. I think you would have better results both from a strength and size point of view.


"That's a lot of volume before your strength set."

Like Stu said, it doesn't make sense.

Kenny Crodale

Author:  mr_positive [ Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bench Press Query

Thanks guys, I appreciate this. So what can you suggest if I want to build size with the weights and number of sets to be considered.

Author:  Kenny Croxdale [ Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bench Press Query

shagydeep wrote:
Hello,
When doing chest press their should be take proper care of balance and strength. :headbang:


After reading post like this, I have to go take a few asprin. It doesn't really say anything.

I am sure you have a good point to make here. You need to eleborate on what you mean by balance and strength.

Kenny Croxdale

Author:  stuward [ Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bench Press Query

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
shagydeep wrote:
Hello,
When doing chest press their should be take proper care of balance and strength. :headbang:


After reading post like this, I have to go take a few asprin. It doesn't really say anything.

I am sure you have a good point to make here. You need to eleborate on what you mean by balance and strength.

Kenny Croxdale


A failed spammer.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/