ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:39 pm 
n00b
n00b

I'm very new to personal training and recently got my 1st client. I did all the right forms,and a assessment. She's about 200lbs and has a lot of abdominal fat. Her goal is to lose about 40 lbs. From the assessment I gathered she has good ROM except for the deep hip and medial glutes, tight internal rotators. She symmetrical and slight kyphosis from sitting at a computer all day and lower lordosis. She currently is doing the treadmill 3 days a week or a dance class at the gym. I have some ideas of exercies but some other feedback is greatly appreciated. What I'm looking for is some basic guidance and some ideas. Thanks.

Runr4life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:14 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey welcome to the forum.
I'm just a learner here myself but there is a lot of knowledge among the rest of the members.
Can you tell us what kind of ideas do you have for her now? That should help get the conversation started and moving in helpful direction.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:57 pm 
n00b
n00b

My ideas are to start slow but progressive. Start with building her mobility and ROM. Starting with the squat and core. Doing squat to stands, proper hip hinges with a dowel, (stability ball squats) glute bridges and simple core activation with the dead bug and progressions. Also stretching the medial glutes and hip. Proper warm up and cool down.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:25 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Congratulations on becoming a personal training. If I may ask, what training and/or certifications did you get to be a licensed personal trainer?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:49 am 
n00b
n00b

I received my certification through Ace, but have purchased many books since then because I felt Ace was to conservative and left a lot of Grey areas and that's why I'm here for some help. I've studied exercise science and health in college, I know I the information unfortunately ACE made me second guess a lot of concepts and created more questions than answers for me.
Thanks for asking! Any thoughts would be helpful.

Runr4life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:13 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

You could use phase 1 of http://www.t-nation.com/training/teaching-a-kid-to-lift to get her into strength training and...

http://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-agile-8 to increase mobility before each exercise session. ROM will come with doing the exercises with proper form and depth.

You can superset squats/pull-ups (with bands to assist) and box squats/pushups/lunges as a phase 2 instead of the other stuff on the first link.

Goal is to set a PR each training session. For instance, if she did 4 regular push-ups and 11 kneeling push-ups one day in phase 1, then the next exercise session, push her to do 5 or more regular push-ups and finish off the set with kneeling push-ups. Phase 1 shouldn't take that long. It would mainly be used to get her into the mindset of exercise and familiarity with some of the forms. Phase 2 will help her conditioning with the continuous supersets and help more with her form.

Phase 3 would be to put a bar on her back and squat. Possibly put her on a Starting Strength program.

Finish each exercise session off with some abs and conditioning (sprints, prowler, farmers walks, medicine ball, etc.). Prescribe walking and the above mobility exercises on her off days at home.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:56 am 
n00b
n00b

@jlmoss Thanks so much I greatly appreciate it.

Runr4life