ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:27 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

I've been using the Laser Pointer for a while, along with some exercise for a shoulder problem.

The Laser Pointer appears to be working.

Here is some information on it.

5 Radical Ways to Stop Hurting
by John Paul Catanzaro
http://www.t-nation.com/training/5-radi ... op-hurting

"...A 10-dollar laser pointer that you can pick up from any office supply outlet. It'll facilitate healing in a unique manner."

How A Simple Laser Pointer Can Heal You Faster And More Effectively Than Most Medications
http://preventdisease.com/news/14/11041 ... ions.shtml

" It is a non-toxic and non-invasive therapy that uses this light energy to repair and regenerate cells in the body. It has been proven to reduce and even eliminate the need for medication, improve the outcomes for conditions treated, and increase the recover rates of affected tissues."

"The non-thermal photons of light that are emitted from lasers pass through the skins layers (the dermis, epidermis, and the subcutaneous tissue or tissue fat under the skin) and can influence cellular recovery at a phenomenal rate."

"One of the most profound physiological effects of low level therapeutic lasers is the effect of Neuroplasticity. Neuroplasticity represents the brain's ability to reorganize itself by forming new neural connections throughout life. Neuroplasticity provides a way for nerve cells (neurons) in the brain to respond and compensate for injury and disease and adjust neuronal activity in response to a new situation or to changes in the environment."

"Once the light energy passes through the layers of skin and reaches the target area, it is absorbed and interacts with the light sensitive elements in the cell. This process can be compared to photosynthesis in plants - sunlight is absorbed by plants, which is then converted to usable energy so that the plant can grow."

Walmart

I found a Laser Pointer at Walmart for $3.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:11 pm 

I hope you don't mind, but I'm skeptical. A little Googling shows that this has all the hallmarks of a bogus treatment with no science behind it.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have to agree with Stu.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:58 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

stuward wrote:
I hope you don't mind, but I'm skeptical. A little Googling shows that this has all the hallmarks of a bogus treatment with no science behind it.

Skeptical

I am very cynical about things like this. So, I understand.

Most people are and should be skeptical about things like this.

However, one of your previous tag lines sum it up best..

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

So, you and Ironman are in "State One". I began there, as well.

Research

The research information that I found indicated there's something to it.

Arm Chair Quarterbacking

Reading the research is great.

However, the only way to really evaluated anything it to do it.

Miraculous Effect

One of the problems with people trying something new is they have unreal expectations.

It is doesn't work the first time or work over night, the believe it doesn't work.

Rarely does anything in life work that way.

Summary

1) Practical Experience

The only way to really know if something works or not is to try it.

2) Unreal Expectations

Trying something a few time and expecting over night results insures failure.

Rarely does anything work that fast.

3) Incorrect Use

Another problem is that many people use the method incorrectly.

Then they blame the method, rather that accepting that fact that they may not have implemented the method correctly.

"If at first you don't succeed..."

What I found in my training failures was similar to baking a cake.

I had all the "right ingredients". However, I incorrectly used those "Ingredients".

In other word, I used too much of one and not enough of the other.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing". Einstein

No matter how smart you are, experimentation is required.

How much do you have to lose?

How much do you have to lose by trying a $3 Laser and spend 5 minutes a day (while watching TV) on an injured area?

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:34 am 

It may be harmless, and I have no problem with anyone playing with a $3 toy, but some clinics are charging vast sums for treatment. Of course they say you need a specific frequency of light, yada, yada, in order to justify their fees, so you know some people are getting swindled out there. As well, some people may put off definitive medical treatment in order to try this method. Almost any treatment will work if you believe in it and the outcomes are subjective. This is the placebo effect. Because of this, I distrust self-experimentation unless the outcome is measurable. I'll wait for real studies on the subject.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:49 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

stuward wrote:
It may be harmless, and I have no problem with anyone playing with a $3 toy, but some clinics are charging vast sums for treatment. Of course they say you need a specific frequency of light, yada, yada, in order to justify their fees, so you know some people are getting swindled out there. As well, some people may put off definitive medical treatment in order to try this method. Almost any treatment will work if you believe in it and the outcomes are subjective. This is the placebo effect. Because of this, I distrust self-experimentation unless the outcome is measurable. I'll wait for real studies on the subject.

Whatever you feel comfortable with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:20 am 
n00b
n00b

This therapy seems quite painful.