ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:10 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hello.

Today I read two different articles on some scientific findings from 2010 and 2012, which showed that if you trained until fatigue, then the muscles would get the same amount of fiber growth whether you did a 80% or 30% RM. It was the fatigue that mattered. So my question is, why runners don't seem to get muscle growth when running until fatigue? Or lies the answer in, that a runner doesn't have every stride/step counting as a 30% RM but more like a 0.01% or something like that, because a runner makes something like 1,000 repetitions instead for about 20-30 per session?

I hope it makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:30 pm 

Sprinters get muscular development, probably because they train short duration. Longer distance runners don't. The duration seems to be unimportant within a reasonable range, and that range may be up to 2 minutes or so. After that you start using different energy systems. Ideal is likely to use a blend of intensities, some low reps, some higher so you target both the ATP-CP and the Anaerobic system. Training the Aerobic system doesn't provide any hypertrophy or strength adaptation but your endurance improves.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:36 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Maawen wrote:
Hello.

Today I read two different articles on some scientific findings from 2010 and 2012, which showed that if you trained until fatigue, then the muscles would get the same amount of fiber growth whether you did a 80% or 30% RM. It was the fatigue that mattered. So my question is, why runners don't seem to get muscle growth when running until fatigue? Or lies the answer in, that a runner doesn't have every stride/step counting as a 30% RM but more like a 0.01% or something like that, because a runner makes something like 1,000 repetitions instead for about 20-30 per session?

I hope it makes sense.

Endurance fibers hypertrophy at about 50 percent of fast twitched fibers.