ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:07 am 
former lurker

This makes me come off as a demanding noob, I guess I am one, my bad.

The lifts I'll be focusing on are squats, deadlifts, incline bench (35 degrees) and bent over rows. I'll lift Monday Wednesday Friday, ABA every single week. I'm going to alternate lifts each set so that my rest periods are shorter and my second lift gets the same lack of fatigue as my first lift.

A will be squats and rows.
B will be incline bench and deadlifts.

How many reps and sets should I be doing? My goal is size and I definitely prefer lighter, longer sets except maybe on deadlifts. Squats and rows are more important to me than bench and deadlifts, hence ABA every week. I want my B day to have a little bit more volume than my A day since I'll only be hitting those lifts once a week.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:05 am 

Why dont you do a Flat Bench Press? Doesn't make sense for me to only do Incline Bench Press.

I would recommend this:

A:
Squat
Bench Press
Deadlift

B:
Squat (low intensity)
Overhead Press or Incline Bench Press
Deadlifts

Then you can go with ABA.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:11 pm 

For sets and reps, 3x5 would work. A better idea is to use a program that already exists. There is a sticky in this forum with a list of programs. Starting Strength or StrongLifts are popular first programs. Let me know if any links are bad.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:38 pm 
former lurker

My posture isn't great, so I only want to upper body push once a week. 35 degree incline bench is a great in-between relative to flat and overhead pressing.

I don't want to deadlift twice a week, I want to row twice a week and deadlift once a week.

I don't want to squat three times a week, I want to squat twice a week and not squat the same day that I deadlift on.

I want to do high volume for mass, not low volume for strength. Except maybe on deadlifts.

I know all of this makes me a lunatic, but if you could actually give my program the time of day I'd really appreciate it. stu, you suggested that I do LESS volume than Stronglifts even though I am doing less movements per workout and said I prefer high volume. It makes me think you didn't actually consider my program for a second.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 pm 

Sounds like you already know what you want.

By the way, I did consider your program, I thought it looked like Starting Strength, I thought Starting Strength to be a better program, I still do, so that's why I suggested you check the list. Starting Strength only has deadlifting every second workout, by the way, and if you chose Madcow, you'll find deadlift only on Wednesday and the squats that day are only light so you don't kill yourself on Friday with DOMS.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley