ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L Glutamine
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:39 am 
n00b
n00b

Dr. M Colgan says in nutrition book that taking L Glut in the common powdered form turns straight to amnonia in the body, and to take Ornith and Argin AKG instead. How valid and have u heard this as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:17 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

While I respect Dr. Colgan, that was a big thing back in the early 90's, the L Arginine and AKG thing (alpha keto glutarate). I was willing to give it a shot, but then I went down and priced it; holy smoly. For the doses needed, it will run (or at that time anyway) well over 200 bucks/month. That said, I did not try it, as I consider it cost ineffective. does it work? well, you have to look at what it is supposed to do, balance that out against what you eat regulaly, then make adcision
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:18 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I would not worry about L-Glutamine, it is prescribed by doctors to patients who recover from surgeries or serious injuries and it is produced by Pharmacutical Companies apart from food supplament companies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:04 pm 

You could try posting this over at Dr. Squat forum, drsquat.com

They talk about this a lot over there and there are a lot of people who have used it in different forms and will give your their take on it. A lot of guys swear by taking it so it might be worth looking into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:24 pm 

I have not gotten sick and my recovery time has improved since I started taking it two years ago. I take 1/2 tbl a day. It is cheap and it seems to help. Whether it is the placebo effect or it actually works, I don't know. If it works on my mind which in turn works on my body, I don't care. It seems to work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:25 am 
Rookie
Rookie

what is the difference between Glutamine and L-Glutamine?
which is better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:43 am 

I don't think there is a difference in this case. I know different amino acids have different pre word modifiers. Man I am butchering this response, please forgive. I think the L stand for lamda and if you look on most BCAA profiles all the amino acids are L-whatever. I recently have been looking at trying some B-alanine - beta-alanine, but you can also get L-alanine. I asked the local Vitamin Shoppe employee about the difference and they had no clue as to what I was talking about. I am sure any of the more experienced and smarter guys around here can give you a better scientific response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:24 pm 

There is a substantial importance in the naming between L and D.

A little biochem, glutamine is an amino acid and as such, has a carbon atom as its central piece. The carbon atom has a coordination number of 4 (meaning it makes bonds with 4 things). This gives rise to two distinct arrangements of the bound pieces. Only L-type amino acids are the huge majority found in almost all proteins in living organisms. You can imagine a triangular based pyramid and put 4 distinct markers on each point. If you do this you will find there are 2 pyramids that can not be rotated or "looked" at from a different angle to yield the same structure. The two types are L and D and they are just different.

As to your question I would assume glutamine is L-glutamine. There is some problem when you create amino acids in a lab because you create equal amounts of both and then they need to be purified to the L type.

This is summarized pretty well here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amino_acid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:02 am 
Rookie
Rookie

ok, i found this Q&A about Glutamine.
Note the difference between Glutamine Peptides and straight L-Glutamine in the second paragraph.
Where can we find Glutamine Peptides?

Q: When I supplement with L-Glutamine, does it matter what I mix it with?
A: It doesn't really matter if you mix L-Glutamine with a shake, with juice, with water, etc. Any of those would be fine. Keep in mind, however, that L-Glutamine is not all that stable in water, so if you want the full benefits from the supplement, do not mix it until you are ready to drink it.

Q: What is the difference between Glutamine Peptides and straight L-Glutamine?
A: The major difference between the two is that glutamine peptides are more stable in liquids, and in the gut. Free form L-Glutamine can begin to quickly break down if it's mixed with a liquid and not consumed immediately, and it's also easily recognized by the gut. As such, much of the L-Glutamine you take in may be absorbed and utilized by the gut before it ever reaches the muscle cells. This is by no means a bad thing, but when you are engaging in resistance exercise, you want to get as much glutamine to the muscle cells as possible, and the best ways to do that are by using glutamine peptides or glutamine precursors. Glutamine peptides are more stable when mixed in liquid, and due to the form they are in, they are not so easily recognized by the gut. This means that more of the actual glutamine will make it's way into the bloodstream, and thus into the muscle cell, which as a bodybuilder is where you really want it.

Q: What is L-Glutamine?
A: L-Glutamine is the most abundant free amino acid in muscle tissue. It is a nonessential amino acid that can be produced by the body under normal conditions. However, under periods of stress, such as intense workouts, the body may have an increased demand making it a conditionally essential amino acid. Supplementation with L-Glutamine may be an effective way to support sufficient glutamine levels, which may aid in recovery and recuperation.

Q: How can L-Glutamine help with my training and nutrition program?
A: L-Glutamine may help with:
· recovery and recuperation,
· protecting muscle cells from breaking down, and
· cell volumization.

Q: What is the recommended use for L-Glutamine?
A: Here's one suggestion. During periods of high-intensity exercise or increased stress to the body, try 2 to 4 grams (1/2-1 tsp) 2 to 3 times daily. Taking L-Glutamine after workouts or before bedtime, times when muscle tissue typically undergoes repair and recuperation, could be particularly effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:06 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

good article about L-Glutamine and Glutamine Peptides

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdr ... 0124.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:37 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

TimD wrote:
While I respect Dr. Colgan, that was a big thing back in the early 90's, the L Arginine and AKG thing (alpha keto glutarate). I was willing to give it a shot, but then I went down and priced it; holy smoly. For the doses needed, it will run (or at that time anyway) well over 200 bucks/month. That said, I did not try it, as I consider it cost ineffective. does it work? well, you have to look at what it is supposed to do, balance that out against what you eat regulaly, then make adcision
Tim

I agree with Tim. The benefit is out weighed by the cost.

David Barr's "Glutamine, Destroying the Dogma" [ http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461188] is an article that I agree with.

I question how effecitive glutamine is in restoration.

Kenny Croxdale