ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Carido with a fused hip
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:19 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I've got a friend in his early 40s. He's overweight. He doesn't eat that healthy, which is part of the problem, but the other part is that his hip is fused (I'm not sure on the details) so he thinks he can't do any cario.

Are there any types of cario excercizes for someone in his situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:06 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

What is a fused hip?

How about swimming?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:18 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I was wondering about that myself. Never heard of a fused hip. My Dad has both ankles fused, which mean no flexion whatsoever, up/down/side to side/anything. Can't imagine having that done to a hip. I be interested in hearing what that's all about.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I don't know exactly either. But the impression I get is exactly what TimD sid about his dads ankles. He can't move one of his hips. He walks with a limp, has to keep the leg straight when he's sitting down. That kind of thing. I suggested swimming and he said he doesn't feel comfortable getting naked in front of other guys. And frankly, if I were him I wouldn't either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:10 am 
Rookie
Rookie

well... it sounds pretty serious if he's got to keep his leg straight while sitting down.

I have a friend who lost a TON swimming. She was never comfortable, and still isn't, peeling off her clothing in front of any one, and instead of popping into a bikini, or even a full one piece bathing suit, she has swimming 'pants' Her swimming gear looks more like a wet suit, and covers her pretty much entirely.

Finding some form of exercise he can do for his own health is important, but it is not essential to his weight loss.

If his obesity is stopping him from doing these things, then the focus of his attention almost has to be his diet.

Now.. I find myself able to do almost any exercise I want. I can hang on the elliptical trainer for an hour at a time, but modifying my diet is the tough part for me. It's tough to change eating habits, but can be done.

I'm in favor of diet control and exercise for healthy weight loss, nevertheless..people can lose weight without exercising, and that's what he needs to do.

Losing the weight will not only make him less self-conscious (so that he's not so sensitive about peeling down for the pool), it will make ALL forms of cardio more attainable for him. It will reduce the stress to all his joints, and make life less painful for him. And it will reduce the stress on his heart as well.

Post subject: murphy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:29 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]