ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repetition stagnation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:08 am 
n00b
n00b

Main point: I've been doing lat. pull-downs with a regular bar, normal grip at 3x15, but since reaching 65kg I've been unable to accomplish 3x15, e.g. (15,14,12). I'm unsure on how to progress from here.

I was seeing an athletic trainer/personal trainer at my university for winged scapula/shoulder instability, but now I am studying abroad and don't have access to them.

I've switched the lat. pull-down bar to a close grip v-bar since two workouts ago.

Overall, what can I do when I reach stagnation when doing 3x15 in certain exercises.

I'm 21 and a male, started lifting about a year ago. 6'3", between 180-190 lb.
Exercise goals are to build muscle, muscle endurance.
Program: (Upper/Lower split)
3x15 lat pulldown, 3x15 millitary pushups, 3x12 cable rows

3x15 goblet squats, 3x15 deadlift

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:42 am 
former lurker

Take a deload week, then either retest your 1 rep max (1rm) or use a calculator which for your pulldowns would give you about 100kg as your 1rm, then drop the weight you are using to 55/60% to give your working weight, so say 55kg.....

So after your deload week you start back in at 55KG but dont go to failure stop at 8 reps the next workout do 9 then the next 10 etc etc.. then when you get to 12 reps up the weight to 60kg and start again at 8 reps and repeat which puts you back at 65kgs in 8-12 weeks time and if all goes well you should get 15 reps easily @65kg and then up the weight until you stall again, then do the whole sequence again...

Hopefully each time you do this your 1rm will increase slightly and over the next year your weight lifted will increase.....

Just personally I would be doing pulldowns in the 6-12 rep range, but each to their own ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:13 pm 

You can mix up your rep ranges. Instead of 3x15, go with heavier weight and fewer reps. Then when you go back to 3x15, you should be stronger. For example: http://exrx.net/WeightTraining/Periodiz ... tml#Sample

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:55 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Is this your first plateau in your year of lifting? If not, what did you do last time?

Also, personally I up the weight when I get past 12 reps on pulldowns.

Also: are you familiar with the advice to focus on strength first, then build size? In that school of thought, if size is your goal, you would choose lower rep ranges for their strength gains so your higher rep stuff could use more weight resulting in more muscle mass.