ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:00 am 

I'm guessing that the person who posted this in July of 2014 isn't still around looking for additional answers!

Since I missed this thread when it was fresh and new, since the post 2 before this one contains some misinformation, I'll post enough to correct that. Panic attacks and hyperventilation are not the same thing. People having panic attacks may or may not hyperventilate, but if they do, that's only one of many symptoms, and is not the cause. Breath-holding or bag-breathing (both potentially useful techniques for hyperventilation) will not break a panic attack or cure the problem. It usually requires the help of both doctors who can prescribe medication correctly, and of practitioners of any of several different therapy techniques.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:49 pm 
n00b
n00b

I realize I'm late for some of these but I'll respond to them anyway. I don't come on here quite as much as I once did but I'm still a lurker and just noticed all these.

jarbinx wrote:

I was prescribed Klonopin by my doctor at the age of 15 for treatment of acute anxiety after having been the victim of sexual abuse. My doctor kept me on this drug for several years, when I switched doctors at the age of 22, he upped my dosage and added Xanax, alprazolam. I obviously became incredibly dependent on both drugs however I didn't take more than what was prescribed..however apparently I was prescribed an insane amount. I discovered the severity of the situation when I decided to stop taking my medication- since I had been taking the medication for over a decade, I had no choice but to enter rehab, but before that I was placed in a medical detox unit in a hospital for a WEEK. I suffered a seizure and at times couldn't remember how to do simple things such as spell or tie my shoes- I couldn't hold a glass of water without spilling and I could barely walk in a straight line. Never in my LIFE have I ever experienced such agony. There were people on the unit with me that were withdrawing off of heroin, and my situation was worse by miles. It has been seven months since my last dose and I still suffer from intense headaches and dizziness. It should also be noted that my anxiety levels have decreased so significantly that I am no longer on any medication.

That all sounds crazy. I've never had any experiences quite like that thankfully. I'm glad it's been working out for you now though. I only take the Xanax as needed not everyday. I find it makes me really tired but it does it's job.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:56 pm 
n00b
n00b

Pierre Bruce wrote:

Hi there Somedudeathome
Let me share to you some proper breathing exercise that you can keep in mind! Let's pretend your doing a bench press, remember to breathe out slowly and continuously while pressing the bar, then when you are on top of the lift or on the return, start inhaling. Just a little trivia for you: Holding the breath improves your chest's strength.
The reason why you are having panic attacks, is because you are breathing too much oxygen. You do not give your body enough time to maintain CO2. You might think that you do not have enough air, but it is actually the opposite, you have too much. When you are having panic attacks just hold your breath for 10-15 seconds, and just repeat it for 4 times just to make you calm. Lastly, you can try breathing in and out of a paper bag. Hope that will help you.

Thanks I've actually been working on this exact technique. I always knew how to breath properly before I started experiencing panic attacks but now I have to really focus. I've found the main problem being towards the end of a heavy set. When I start getting tired and my hearts beating harder because it's the end of the set that's when my breathing really gets out of whack. And then when I'm done I sit up and I'm breathing hard but have trouble catching my breath. Taking in slow deep breaths and exhaling doesn't feel right or seem to work. I find that if I breath faster but make sure I exhale all the way it helps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:58 pm 
n00b
n00b

tylerpc73 wrote:
Panic attacks are the worst thing in the world. I have had a couple of my life. Are you taking any pre-workout supplements with excessive amounts of caffeine? I almost had a full-blown panic attack the first time it took a very intense pre-workout

No, no preworkouts. I don't even drink caffeine during a normal day. No coffee, tea, pop or energy drinks. Only time I have pop is with a slice of pizza or when out to eat which is 1-2x a month.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:30 pm 
n00b
n00b

Jungledoc wrote:
I'm guessing that the person who posted this in July of 2014 isn't still around looking for additional answers!

Since I missed this thread when it was fresh and new, since the post 2 before this one contains some misinformation, I'll post enough to correct that. Panic attacks and hyperventilation are not the same thing. People having panic attacks may or may not hyperventilate, but if they do, that's only one of many symptoms, and is not the cause. Breath-holding or bag-breathing (both potentially useful techniques for hyperventilation) will not break a panic attack or cure the problem. It usually requires the help of both doctors who can prescribe medication correctly, and of practitioners of any of several different therapy techniques.

I'm here haha. Any info is always appreciated.

You're right and I did know that. For me they do go hand in hand. With working out the hyperventilating can lead to the feeling of having or going to have a panic attack. Then on the flip side when I have a full blown panic attack I start breathing oddly and hyperventilating which just makes it all worse and harder to recover from.