ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:09 pm 
n00b
n00b

Should it be done on leg or back day?

I've read both points of view extensively and it seems the majority opinion is that deadlift should be done on back day. I for the most part I do them on leg day but when I deadlift they are substituted for squats. I'm ok with trying them on back day so I can do both but I'd like opinions on something else I've been thinking.

I split my routine up as legs, chest, back and shoulders. On the first leg day I'd do squats and then Romanian deadlifts and the following week do deadlifts and then front squats. It gets some variety in there for muscle activation and both exercises get done on leg day. What are your thoughts about this vs just putting deadlifts on back day?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:29 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Somedudeathome wrote:

I've read both points of view extensively and it seems the majority opinion is that deadlift should be done on back day. I for the most part I do them on leg day but when I deadlift they are substituted for squats. I'm ok with trying them on back day so I can do both but I'd like opinions on something else I've been thinking.

I split my routine up as legs, chest, back and shoulders. On the first leg day I'd do squats and then Romanian deadlifts and the following week do deadlifts and then front squats. It gets some variety in there for muscle activation and both exercises get done on leg day. What are your thoughts about this vs just putting deadlifts on back day?

Just an idea... When I read first about the "Push/Pull/Legs"-Split there was the explanation that each day was dedicated for one big lift with assistance added to it (Benchpress, Deadlift, Squats).

To the question when it should be done... Is there another possible answer other than "it depends"?

So without knowing more about your goals, training history and so on... Your solution is fine and often done like that with Upper/Lower-Splits. If someone wants to train heavy Squats and heavy Deadlifts each week, doing Deadlifts on another day could be a better choice. Sometimes it`s just personal preference or a question of better recovery... or putting conventional deadlifts to Back and sumo-deadlifts to legs, because of the emphasis on muscles...

With your split you are "activating" your upper body muscles 2x/week (training them directly or indirectly) and legs just 1x/week. With deadlifts on back-day... you see the difference... (this is also a question which excercises you train each day, of course...)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:55 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Somedudeathome wrote:

I've read both points of view extensively and it seems the majority opinion is that deadlift should be done on back day.

The Majority Opinion

The majority of individuals who believe this are clueless.

The Deadlift is primarily a lower body posterior chain exercise. There is some upper body involvement but NOT enough to put into the upper body posterior chain exercise training day.

Quote:
I for the most part I do them on leg day but when I deadlift they are substituted for squats.

Leg-Back Day

This is where they belong.

Quote:
I split my routine up as legs, chest, back and shoulders.

Your Program?

...do not make sense.

1) You should allocate one day a week for Leg Training and one day for Lower Body Posterior Chain (Deadlift or like exercises) each week, as Crows basically stated.

2) What the point of Shoulder Day? The shoulder are trained on chest day and upper back day.

Quote:
On the first leg day I'd do squats and then Romanian deadlifts and the following week do deadlifts and then front squats.

Looks Good

Perform you Leg Day once a week and your Deadlift Day once a week.

What are your thoughts about this vs just putting deadlifts on back day?[/quote]

Alternative

It somewhat of an alternative. However, you upper back training is going suffer.

The rule is that the first exercise in a training program is going to receive the greatest benefit.

The farther down the exercise is in the pecking order, the less energy you have, the less you are able to put it it, the less it grows.

Thus, you upper back "Is going to suck hind tit."

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:24 am 

I'm absolutely adamant.

It depends.

A

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:06 am 

Deadlifts should be done on Deadlift day.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:54 am 
n00b
n00b

I usually do deadlifts when I train my back. However, they are my favorite routine so sometimes I do them even when I don't train my back. Lol. It will depend on you I guess.