ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: loss of workout pump
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:40 pm 
former lurker

I'm an older male. when I put a lot of energy into my time in the gym with free weights, I used to get this great pump. Now at 65, no matter how much energy I put into the exercise, no pump. I used NO Explode for several years until I have an allergic reaction to it. any ideas? Vascular dialators maybe?

Post subject: Re: loss of workout pump
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:32 am 

Are you taking creatine? That is more important as you age and the only supplement that I think is worth recommending in the general case. Lack of pump could also be a sign of overtraining. That becomes easier to do as you get older.

Treat the pump or lack thereof as a barometer of your readiness to build muscle, not an end in itself. Look for gaps in your recovery and nutrition before you start worrying about pre-workouts, etc.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:58 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I think at this point of age you should heavy weight exercise, rather than go for cardiac exercises and jogging to stay fit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:16 pm 
n00b
n00b

blacky wrote:
I'm an older male. when I put a lot of energy into my time in the gym with free weights, I used to get this great pump. Now at 65, no matter how much energy I put into the exercise, no pump. I used NO Explode for several years until I have an allergic reaction to it. any ideas? Vascular dialators maybe?

From what we know about the "pump" it is caused by metabolic stress stress placed on the muscle by reps in the 6-12 range causing a buildup of fluid within the cell, facilitated by the accumulation of metabolic by products, which function as osmolytes. Of course the anabolic hormones HGH, insulin, IGF-1 and testosterone are very much necessary to facilitate this process. Here is the bad part, as we age, testosterone, HGH and IGF-1 all tend to drop substantially. Because many of these hormones are also responsible for the production of insulin, often times it too drops. These anabolic hormones, with higher rep training cause a supersaturation of the muscle cell, filling it with water, glycogen, electrolytes and amino acids.

Vascular dilators will help the blood vessels expand making you look more vascular but they will not do much to help the pump. IMHO there is one way to solve this problem and I am sure you can figure out this one for yourself now. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:16 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Quote:
From what we know about the "pump" it is caused by metabolic stress stress placed on the muscle by reps in the 6-12 range causing a buildup of fluid within the cell, facilitated by the accumulation of metabolic by products, which function as osmolytes. Of course the anabolic hormones HGH, insulin, IGF-1 and testosterone are very much necessary to facilitate this process. Here is the bad part, as we age, testosterone, HGH and IGF-1 all tend to drop substantially. Because many of these hormones are also responsible for the production of insulin, often times it too drops. These anabolic hormones, with higher rep training cause a supersaturation of the muscle cell, filling it with water, glycogen, electrolytes and amino acids.

Metabolic Stress

Metabolic Stress is the prime factor that triggers hypertrophy (increasing muscle mass. The other two components as you appear to be aware of are, Mechanical Tension and Muscle Damage.

The Pump

The Pump is produced when blood becomes trapped in the muscles. This is occurs when blood flow from the muscle back to the heart (ventricular blood flow) is restricted.

Ventricular Blood Flow Restriction

When muscle contract, blood flow from the muscles back to the heart is restricted. Blood becomes trapped in the muscle creating The Pump.

Here's how it works...

Blowing Up A Balloon Analogy

Muscles are similar to a balloons. With each breath you blow into a balloon, the balloon become larger.

Muscle respond the same way as with the balloon. Each repetition you preform pumps more blood to the muscles worked.

Muscle contractions restrict blood flow back to the heart. The trapped blood "Balloons" the muscle up, aka The Pump.

The Pump evokes Metabolic Stress which triggers an anabolic hormonal cascade hypertrophy/muscle building effect.

The more breaths you blow into a balloon (more repetition you perform with an exercise) the lager the balloon becomes (the greater The Pump).

With that in mind, let look the...

Repetitions Needed For The Pump

High Repetition per Set are need for The Pump. The more repetition performed, the more blood the heart pump to the muscle; the more blood trapped in the muscles; the greater The Pump.

Thus, 12 repetition or more n (20 reps and higher) elicit a a greater training effect.

Rest Periods Between Sets

Short rest period (about 60 seconds) ensure more blood remains trapped in the muscles.

Thus, with each successive set of an exercise, the greater The Pump.

Number of Sets Per Exercise

By performing multiple sets (5 sets plus per exercise) increases the magnitude of The Pump, Metabolic Stress.

Summary

1) Ventricular Blood Flow Restriction ensure The Pump.

2) Repetition: 12 Repetition Per Set or more...20 or 30 Repetition Per Set

3) Short Rest Periods Between Sets (around 60 seconds)

4) High Volume Sets (5 Set Plus Per Exercise)

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:41 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Alexa1994 wrote:
I think at this point of age you should heavy weight exercise, rather than go for cardiac exercises and jogging to stay fit.

Building Strength/Increasing Muscle Mass

Research by Dr Michael Zourdos (PhD Exercise Physiology/Powerlifter) determined that increasing strength is optimized when three type of strength are combine in one training program, Conjugate Training.

1) Hypertrophy/Bodybuilding: High Repetition (12 Reps plus per set) and High Volume (5 Sets plus Per Exercise)

2) Power Training: Explosive Plyometric Exercises.

3) Limit Strength. Heavy Loads (85% of 1 Repetition Max) for Multiple Sets (5 Set Plus Per Exercise).

Training Program Training Example

1) Monday: Hypertrophy

2) Wednesday: Power

3) Friday Limit Strength.

Dr Brad Schoenfeld's Research

Schoenfield's research falls in line with Zourdos. Schoenfeld data demonstrating the...

Three Hypertrophy Factors

1) Mechanical Tension: Limit Strength Training

2) Metabolic Stress: Hypertophy/Bodybuilding

3) Muscle Damage: Subjecting muscles some trauma. (Pushing to failure at the end of a training cycle, eccentric, full range exercise that load the muscles in the fully stretched position (Example: Full Squat).

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:50 pm 
former lurker

Schoenfeld data goldenslot demonstrating the...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:09 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
Alexa1994 wrote:

Building Strength/Increasing Muscle Mass

Research by Dr Michael Zourdos (PhD Exercise Physiology/Powerlifter) determined that increasing strength is optimized when three type of strength are combine in one training program, Conjugate Training.

1) Hypertrophy/Bodybuilding: High Repetition (12 Reps plus per set) and High Volume (5 Sets plus Per Exercise)

2) Power Training: Explosive Plyometric Exercises.

3) Limit Strength. Heavy Loads (85% of 1 Repetition Max) for Multiple Sets (5 Set Plus Per Exercise).

Training Program Training Example

1) Monday: Hypertrophy

2) Wednesday: Power

3) Friday Limit Strength.

Dr Brad Schoenfeld's Research

Schoenfield's research falls in line with Zourdos. Schoenfeld data demonstrating the...

Three Hypertrophy Factors

1) Mechanical Tension: Limit Strength Training

2) Metabolic Stress: Hypertophy/Bodybuilding

3) Muscle Damage: Subjecting muscles some trauma. (Pushing to failure at the end of a training cycle, eccentric, full range exercise that load the muscles in the fully stretched position (Example: Full Squat).

Kenny Croxdale

Oh Nice, thanks for sharing this valuable information here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:31 pm 
n00b
n00b

blacky wrote:

Might also have your blood checked. It is highly possible at your age your GH, T levels and IGF-1 levels are very low. This all pays a big part in the pump. A good doctor can be fix that if it is that important to you, in any case you will at at least know what is going on.