ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tonight, I found 5 or 6 users that posted 20 to 30 messages each all over the place. It is nice that the "find all posts by user" function works now. However what I really need is a "delete all" function. Or is there a way to set it where people can't post until 3 days later? Or can I create an e-mail address that account creations can go to? Can we ban IP addresses? Anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And there's more. It's going to be around for a while too. I have to go to work so I don't have time to delete it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:37 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Ironmman,
I've been out for two days. James advised I go back to user activation , w/visuals for user accts. . Apparently this @$$h0l3 who's screen names end in a form of erd is doing this. I found his IP from which he was going from on 5 or more different screen names, and banned it, but I'm sure he/she will come back on another one. UFN the board is on admin activation (the admin screens and has to manually activate an account). I can only get to it once or twice a day, but right now there are more than 100 spams on drugs and sex. Registration activation is locked down until I get this crap out of here and do manual screening/
Tim

Last edited by TimD on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think I got all the spams off the board now. If anyone sees any old ones I missed, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:59 pm 

Yep, you must have been working from bottom up, I was clearing them from top down. Tks a bunch . Board is clear. Hope Ryan@exrx and james@exrx get ahold of me tonight sometime.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

have you guys tried deleting the users from the members list that are spammers, maybe they are using old user names to keep spamming.
not sure if that would help but just a suggestion.
if you search by username the first 5-6 pages appear to be all spam users, and search by total posts in ascending order shows many users with no posts. some of them have "normal names" like chris13321 who is ffrom usa but has spam url.

if i were you guys i think i would put my fist through the screen when i log in and see the amount of spam sometimes. good luck guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:37 pm 

Eric, it doesn't work that way. You can delete users all you want. Look at the total number there are in this group. You cannot stop them from registering in this system, but you can stop them from becoming active, and thats what I'm doing right now. Also, most of it is BOT activity. They register in, spam, then register in again under a different username, spam, go away, come back and the cycle continues. Deleting users isn't going to help at all, they've already done the damage.
When I put the brakes on activation, you'll notice the spam levels go down to almost zero. One or two will slip through the cracks, but nothing like the last two days.
Tim