ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:07 am 
n00b
n00b

Hello all: Newbie here. I'm a 45-yr-old female who has (unfortunately) been yo-yoing for years now. I've gone between 139 and 172 lbs several times. ENOUGH! What I'm focusing on now, after reading all these informative Web pages, is keeping my calories moderate with more weight training as opposed to cardio, which I'd done too much in the past (ended up with a heel spur, ARG!)

Anyway. Could you do me a favor? My health club offers this "XPress Line" that's supposed to be a good overall weight workout:

http://www.mysportsclubs.com/programser ... pressline/

Could you experienced folks take a gander at those stations and let me know if they're comprehensive enough?

I plan to focus on upper body/lower body on alternating days, with light cardio warmups (10-15 mins on bike, 10-15 mins on arc trainer)

What I hope to do is build lean muscle to more efficiently burn fat. I know this will take longer but that's the point, right?

Thanks tons!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:09 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I question the need for the leg extension station, since you are using the le press. Other than that, it certainly seems to be comprehensive hitting the whole body with mostly major compound moves, and looks to be a good starting point. Either done as is, or upper/lower would be fine. Use the exercise and muscle directory here on the site to find alternatives to these stations if you choose to switch to Barbells, Dumbell or even bodyweight. I know a lot of people will start screaming about machines, and I prefer free weight, but frankly, they do what they were designed to do, and that is to provide a resistance through a certain movement pattern. Good training.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:29 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks so much, Tim. Yes I'd love to add free weights also, but -- I know this sounds weird -- I'm somewhat intimidated by them. I keep hearing that they're tricky, you have to do them precisely correctly or they can hurt you, issues like that. Also, of course, the free-weight section in the gym is full of mainly male body-builders, which can be scary for a slightly overweight, out-of-shape, middle-aged woman such as myself.

I know, I know, that's silly -- but I do think it's an issue for some women!

I'm hoping that once I'm a bit stronger I'll ask my husband to come along and show me how to do free weights correctly. He's volunteered for the job.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:52 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I also am a member of NYSC, so I use Xpressline from time to time. The only drawback is that several important body parts - abs, lower back, and calves - aren't worked. But you can do that afterward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:28 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

You say that you're going to alternate upper and lower. I hope you don't really mean every other day and are going to take some days off.

The workout does seem to be missing a back exercise (http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGen ... erRow.html). You may also want to do something with your abs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:45 am 
n00b
n00b

Maybe it isn't showing up in the Xpress Line online, but there are indeed back and ab machines at the end of the "line."

Also, I DID mean I was going to alternate every other day -- do light cardio (bike and Arc trainer) for 20 mins or so, then lower body one day, upper the next. On Mondays and Fridays I do a body conditioning class.

Is this not good? I try to work out every day, I feel best that way.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:28 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Widget

I've always used XpressLine for a full body circuit workout rather than an upper body/lower body split routine. The personal trainers who assist the members through the line discourage people from jumping into the circuit during peak hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:03 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi Stephen: Ah, gotcha. Usually I'm the only one, or one of only two or three, during the time I'm there. I'll keep a close eye on that. Also, our club's XPress Line parallels a second line of the same machines (different manufacturer) so I guess I could do those instead. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:30 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Widget wrote:
Also, I DID mean I was going to alternate every other day -- do light cardio (bike and Arc trainer) for 20 mins or so, then lower body one day, upper the next. On Mondays and Fridays I do a body conditioning class.

Is this not good? I try to work out every day, I feel best that way.

Whatever works for you, but if you stop making gains or feel very exhausted while working out, you should take a day off every now and then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:42 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I am an old woman (63), slightly overweight. And the guys at the gym don't intimidate me at all. After a while, when they see you are as serious as they are, they will give you their respect. When it comes down to it, we are all there to improve ourselves.

Go in there and learn, you will find that many of the guys really want to be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:51 pm 
Yep we like older ladies just fine. Just come back and ask someone to spot you and make sure you're doing it right. I'm sure someone will help.

I saw a lady at the gym today who was probably 75 or so doing leg press. She seemed to be in pretty good shape too. She was using about as much of the stack as I see the young girls use.

Post subject: williams
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:27 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]