ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:40 pm 
n00b
n00b

I've been told that for hypertrophy one should do 3 to 5 sets of 10-15 reps with a 1-minute recovery period. However I was reading this article which attempts to debunk the idea that this type of program is more effective at promoting hypertrophy compared to a strength-oriented program (low reps, long rest period). I'd like to know if there's any validity to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:02 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Actually, both protocols worked together or alternated are good for hypertrophy
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:19 pm 
n00b
n00b

TimD wrote:
Actually, both protocols worked together or alternated are good for hypertrophy
Tim

So doing one exclusively isn't better for hypertrophy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:11 pm 

if you ask ten different people, you will probably get ten different answers, but if you get into a periodized program, like many are these days, you will find that most coaches (do a search on Poliquin and King) actually advise doing several phases, the higher rep shorter rest periods being accumulation phases, and the lower rep, heavier stuff being intensification phases. Like Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell says, just about everything will work, but nothing works forever.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:22 pm 
n00b
n00b

the low reps, long rest periods sound like a more strength orientated program. Pure strength trsaining wont develop muscle bulk very well as it has a differnet effect on muscle fibres and neural systems

High volume, traing, ie 3- 5 sets at 8 -10 reps with 2 -3 exercise per muscle group to failure is all about maximum fibre recruitment. The more fibres that are recruited = increase stimulation per motorunit = increase development of the muscle as a whole.

rest periods are a vital factor in differnce between hypertophy and strength, as a general rule if doing strngth trainig the rest periods should be longer (1 -2 minutes), where as hypertophy requires less recover to maximise fatigue (thats why its so hard to train like that....it hurts)

Ideally both strength and hypertrophy work well together, one develops strength, where the other develops size, hence a good periodization program is often recomended.

The specific differences netween the two are kinda complex so i wont go into it here, and i agree with TimD, you'll get 10 diferent answers, remember people can respond diferently to training programs due to a vast ammount of factors. My advice is experiment and find out what works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For me rest period depends on the intensity of the set. I don't think you need more then 2 or 2.5 minutes for strength because you don't go to failure. If you go to failure you need at least 3 if not 4 minutes to recover enough.

My high intensity program tends to be 3 or 4 total sets per group, 6 to 8 reps to failure loading about 90% of 1RM. Or as heavy as you can and still get 6. With 4 minutes rest.

Then for high volume, I do a modified German Volume Training. 10 sets or so per group, 65% of 1RM, try for 10 reps, 90 seconds rest. You will start to fail after a while, but it is not like failure after long rest where you tax your CNS, it is just the muscle. You will notice the sets may start out kind of easy, but they get hard until finally your only getting 6 reps or so.

That is most of what I do. Every now and then I might do a type of beyond failure training (kind of like HIT) that is all rest pause and drop sets, but only 1 or 2 sets a group. Only 1 set per exercise. I only do it for 2 weeks though.

An occasional strength phase is good. More weight on the bar means more muscle when you get back to hypertrophy. Oddly enough I have gained on a strength phase. I tend to do 6 to 8 sets of tripples with your 4 rep max. That works good but you overtrain on that pretty fast. 4 to 6 sets, is more sustainable.

So there ya go, obviously this is for hard free weight exercises. Like mostly bench, row, squat, deadlift stuff. If you do lots of machines and isolation, you might as well double all the sets above.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]