ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:12 am 

I recently saw the trailer for the new film 300. I was particularly impressed by the physical appearance of most of the actors in it so I did a little search and found a video explaining some of the training they were put through.

In some cases it was as little as 6 weeks, some it took a little longer (i think i heard 12 weeks at one point).

The guy who was training them basically had them doing a new program everyday, ie each day was random and he didn't seem to have the actors doing any regular resistance training, more plyometrics, agility and circuit training. Things like sprints attached to bungees trying to pick something off the floor, chin ups, push ups using gymnastic rings etc.

Does anyone know of any literature which supports this type of training? I had a quick search but couldn't find anything. I was always under the impression that this type of training didn't yeild results.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The guys were probably already muscular and this was done to make them more lean. This type of training isn't at all unusual for fat loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:04 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Yes, this type of training is becoming (has become) very popular in the past few year. It is designed around physical performance and overall fitness, rather than a bodybuilding perpective. Very popular with the military, police, firefighters, Martial Artists. Alsthough the reference wasn't made to it, it is basically the crossfit approach. For tons more info go to
http://crossfit.com
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:58 am 

Good stuff. That Crossfit looks like what I saw on the documentary.

Some of the things actors do for films should be recognized, Christian bale for example, loosing loads of weight and going down to 55kg, then gaining the weight again for batman. Truly amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:13 am 

For anyone interested, further investigation:

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=35

and

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=20

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]