ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Squat/Deadlift belts
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:02 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi,

I do squats and I wanted to start using a belt. I have tried a couple, but never been satisfied. I was paying too much attention to the belt, than concentrating on the squat. The belt was tapered. It kept slipping and shifting around during the decent. I even had it cranked all the way to the end.

Any recommendations for belts? Someone told me to get a regular belt, that was uniform all the way around and not tapered towards the teeth/holes.

Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:36 pm 

Inzer Forever Lever - I wish I had bought one years ago. http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt.asp ... LEVER_10MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:51 pm 
when should i be using a weightlifting belt? i see many many guys not using them and a few that do? is there a certain point where i should use them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:07 am 
When your abs and lower back have been neglected and can't keep up with your glutes, hips and quads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:32 am 
does wearingthe belt make your back and abs not get stronger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:17 am 

It reduces their recruitment when performing exercises where your abs and lower back would otherwise be used to stabilize.

I believe I have read some contraversial information saying belts really dont supply a whole lot of added safety.

In any case, even if they do provide some safety, you should mostly train without them and use them for brief periods when you are lifting maximal weights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:02 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks RyanA and hoosegow

I think I would use the belt... I have been told by a power lifter to use the belt reguardless. I would not want to be blowing out the side hatch. I love the squats the most. I find it rather entertaining when I go into the gym and the rack is just sitting there by itself. Usually I see most people just doing shruggs. Poor rack.

Any recommended lower back excercises?

Thanks again!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:21 am 
n00b
n00b

ALL RIGHT!!!!

Forget it. I am not using the belt. I will let it ride. I "know" how much weight I should be using. So, if I move up, then the obliques and abs can play catchup.

I read this little article here. I do not want to lose those stabilizers.

http://www.personalpowertraining.net/ar ... trong2.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:13 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

00Mason00 wrote:
ALL RIGHT!!!!

19 minutes, that's a good turnaround...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:25 am 
When you squat, just make sure you don't do half a goodmorning on the way down and your back will be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:08 pm 
n00b
n00b

I understand.

I keep my back as straight as an arrow. And my form is excellent.

I was told that Good Mornings, if not done right, can put a whoopin on ya.

I tried them last week, low low weight to get form right, and they felt ok. I was looking for something to strengthen my Erector Spinae :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:25 pm 
Let us know when you get hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:20 pm 
Oh come on. He's not going to get hurt. Goodmornings are a good exercise as long as you don't try to do it with the same weight you squat. Those and any kind of deadlift can kill your back if you use poor form. However with good form they are very good for your back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:32 am 
And speeding drunk at 120 mph on I40 is a good way to make time. You put the miles in your mirror and hardly remember the trip. If done right, you won't get hurt. Anecdotally, I have seen people get hurt squatting and deadlifting without a belt. Yes they were doing too much weight or losing there form at the end of their set. I have never seen anyone get hurt while using a belt. Granted, if you are not pushing any weight at all you won't get hurt regardless of what you do. If you go heavy - you need a belt. That's my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:18 am 
You guys need to use some name. This guest thing is confusing.

I never use a belt. The body is a unit and when you squat or deadlift, your muscles work in concert. What is the point of lifting more than your core can support? To me, the point of exercise is to strengthen your whole body.

Keith

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next