ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:53 pm 
former lurker

I recently found out that I have a leg length discrepency of about 1/2" (R greater than L). I have also recently incorporated squats into my normal routine. I've been told that I could cause damage/injury by continuing the squats, especially as the weight increases. Is this true? I've also been told to put a 2 lb. plate (roughly 1/2" thick) under my left foot to compensate for the discrepency. I havn't done this as of yet. I'm not sure exactly what to do or who to believe. Is this a common problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

If you have not had any problems in your life up to this point, then I would not be too concerned about it just because you have a a weight on yoru back getting up and down from a well used move in every day life ( sitting to standing position). If you are afraid that squats might affect your knees, there are other ALMOST as good alternatives like leg presses and single leg squats. No one has equal length legs, just compensate with a riser of some kind if you have to.

Desire, Dedication, Discipline

Scott Ismari

Scott Ismari

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:12 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I can't say for sure if it will cause problems, but you should get the disrepancy looked at. I have that problem. It surfaced about 15 years ago, and I just toughed through it. (My right foot is clubbed out and my feet are out about 30 degrees from the knee_) My right hip started curving upward due to overcompensation. Now, there's about an inch and a half difference. Finally I wised up as I was developeing arthritis really badly in the right hip. I saw a podortist. He measured me up, fit me with a good pair of shoes and had the right soles and heels built up to straighten me out. Felt great, but I can't undue the arthritis. You probabl won't have any problems for a while, but I would look into getting it measured and get speial footwear to even things up.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:12 pm 
former lurker

I have a small discrepancy and I just use a small heel wedge in my shoe to compensate for it. I have done fine with just that.

Post subject: Emma
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:30 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]