ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:32 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fitz wrote:
There's a lot of information in this thread and I'm a little confused. Since I'm a newbie, I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. I want to maximize strength/muscle gains but I also want to lose fat. So should I do cardio work immediately after lifting or should I do it a day or two later when I'm not lifting?

If you have the choice, you should do it on your off days. And if you want to loose fat and keep the strength, you should do HIIT instead of cardio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

ok then, starting on week 9, I'm tweaking my regime to:
Heavy Chest/Tri/Shoulder
HIIT
Heavy Back/Bi/Trap
HIIT
Heavy Legs
HIIT
Off day, Pizza and Video games!!!! (joking... about the video games... ok ok no pizza either!)

Thanks for the link Steve!
Great tips gang, thanks a bunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:11 pm 
yeah its really up to you, but do it after your cardio, it wont hurt to do a bit of cardio every day, i do 45 mins of HIIT training a day but then again im 6'3 309 pounds nd 29% body fat and trying to drop down once im at my target bf% then i wont do hardly as much cardio, but id still like to do some to keep my endurence up for sports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:44 am 
Novice
Novice

I"m a fire dancer, that's my cardio, I just want HIIT to finish off my fat burning phase and for some conditioning. Come summer time I'll probably do some lap swimming and bike riding too. So I was going to swap this HIIT business for my current cardio workout and not really concentrate on doing any cardio in the gym. Probably will do cardio in the gym when its too cold to play outside....

I'm planning to couple my HIIT day with a good hard "core" (abs and lowerback) routine. Can anyone suggest their favorite lowerback and oblique exercises. I hit abs with decline curls and captain's chairs, but would like to built up my obliques a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:11 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, the best oblique exercise is decline twisting sit ups, but I hate those, so I just do side bends with a dumbbell in one hand. Now that I'm up to 100 lbs it's starting to hurt my upper back a little, though. If you gym has the machine where you rotate your lower or upper body, you could also do that.

http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/WaistWt.html#anchor1944764

The best lower back exercise is deadlifts. If you can't do those, just do back hyperextensions.

http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/WaistWt.html#anchor1945210

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:24 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, IMHO, the best core/oblique/low back exercises are done with 1 DB, in order to get you off center. 1 arm clean and jerk/presswith a lean, turkish getups, or windmills. If you don't know what these are, I'll try and link you to a description/video, but they are fairly common.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:22 am 
Little to no ab work is needed if you are doing your compound lifts. Oblique isolation is also not needed. a decline weighted situp will work all the abs, even obliques and internal hip flexors. Some people do no direct ab work, because if your abs get to large it can look like you have a bit of a belly on you. If you do squats and straight legs when you do legs, your core should be in good shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:22 pm 
im 6'3 309 and waht ive been doing is 20-40 incline sit ups, 20-40 side bends and 20-40 leg raises for my abs twice a week, will that cause my abs to become huge and make me look like im fat even when im lean? i figured doing these high rep ranged ALL the time and never changin them would just give me core strength and endurence and keep the muscles realtivly small?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:37 pm 
That won't make your abs big, but they won't give you the effect you need. I wouldn't isolate obliques unless you are very week there. Keep your sets of situps in the 12 to 15 rep range. Lower if you DO need them bigger. Low reps, high weight and multiple sets to build strength. The best way to work abs is indirectly however. Any type of deadlift or squat does the trick.

Say for example you do squats and straight leg deadlifts. Then maybe you do a set of sumo style deadlift or perhaps a wide stance front squat for inner thighs. This should give you core strength too. Then mabye finish it off with 2 sets of decline situps weighted to where you can get no more then 15 reps. That should give you endurance. a couple sets on the standing calf and that's your whole lower body.

The exercises that are really going to build muscle and strength and burn fat are things like squats, deadlifts, rows, and presses. Just sprinkle in a little isolation like a seasoning.

If you do the HIIT 2 or 3 times a week, and have your diet squared away you should be dropping fat about as fast as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:40 pm 
yeah im doing HIIT every day 5 days a week actually usually 45 mins a day unless i cant handle that much, at this point i cant do 20 incline situps in a row without taking at least one break inbeween, so i guess once i can ill add weight, and i really dont need to work my obliques? and what about my leg raises are those okay to keep in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:09 am 
Leg lifts really work internal hip flexors more then the lower part of the rectus abdominus. The internal hip flexors get plenty of work with the declined situps and at least some work from anything where you bend at the hips. People get very obssesed with abs. It is because they have lots of fat there and they think they can do a sort of spot reduction by working them more. It doesn't work like that though. All the exercise you do in general burns fat. Your fat will come off the same way it went on. You will not see your abs until you are thin. There are many variations on deadlifts and squats which are great for core strength. I only ever did 1 set for abs after I started using free weights. I did 6 to 8 reps to failure. My abs are as large as I want them. Out well past my rib cage (yes obliques too). So now I make sure I can get at least 12, so I gain more of a mix of strength and endurance. There has been very little growth since I started that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:03 am 
well from what ive read on this website, if you do leg lifts properly it doesnt just work the hip flexors it works the rectus abominus, and the only reason im really doing so much ab work is to get my core strong, which will help me in my dead lifts and squats and everyday life, and so they dont get big i am aiming for stamina

like the 20-40 reps total, that way i have endurence and not too much growth and they still will be strengthened

from what i read on this website it is suggested that muscular endurence is more worthwhile training for the abs then strength training

and yes i realize ill never see my abs till my body fat % goes down i know there is no spot reduction trick, however i still need to have strong abs under my fat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:08 am 
oh and yes once my body fat is where i want it, then i will start to treat my abs like any other muscle to make em stronger, until i get them to the size i want, then i will just maintain them at that size

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:02 am 
Novice
Novice

I realize spot reduction doesn't work, like John I am just after a strong core. I've had lower back problems in the past and some times when working with heavy wieghts my back gets fatigued. the more I read about it, the more I ralize a strong back without strong abs is pointless and visa versa. You need strong both in or for the stabalizing forces to align properly.

I currently do 3x25 decline crunches and 3x15 hyperextentions when I work my core (abs/back). I had planned on upping the hyperextension reps as I got stronger with them, but it sounds like I should lower my ab reps and start using wieghts, increasing 5-10% when I can do 3x15, and adding a twist in the abs. Does twisting during hyperextensions do any good or make injury more likely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:49 am 
Here is the thing. 13 to 15 reps is endurance. going over that is really a waste of time, unless you are doing rest pause. Many types of deadlifts and squats are great for lower back too. Strengthen your core by weighting the crunches and hyperextensions. Then when you are strong enough you will be able to do squats and deadlifts. Twists with crunches are safe but not really needed unless you have some real week obliques. Twists with hyperextension could be a bad idea. If you have a lot of pressure on one side of the erector spinae it could strain.

Hopefully this answers everything for both of you. Just remember no muscle, not even abs are made out of anything different. They are made of the same tissue as other muscles.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next