ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:50 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Keith wrote:
You guys need to use some name. This guest thing is confusing.

I never use a belt. The body is a unit and when you squat or deadlift, your muscles work in concert. What is the point of lifting more than your core can support? To me, the point of exercise is to strengthen your whole body.

Keith

I agree with Keith on both points. Please register or at least use a name, and stop using belts unless you are going to compete as a powerlifter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am 
I thought powerlifters couldn't use belts or golves? When I see powerlifters train I see them wrap deadlift partials and that is it.

And to my evil twin, you would get hurt without a belt because you have weekened your core by using it. Straight leg deadlifts and squats have done wonders for my lower back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:16 pm 

Most powerlifters compete in divisions where they are allowed to use belts, knee wraps, elbow wraps, supportive briefs and suits.

Not allowed to use gloves, but most other things are allowed unless the federation is a raw federation but there are more of the former.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:32 pm 
I started using a belt while deadlifting at one point in my training career and got too used to it. One day, i stupidly attempted a previous best in the deadlift, WITHOUT the belt and not only did i fail the attempt, but i was rewarded for my efforts with a displaced rib on the lower left side, amongst other painful tweaks in that area!

This set me back months! I have not worn it since. As a result, i have noticed a dramatic improvement in core strength and stability. Take it from me - belts BAAAD!

Good training,
Hoister.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:02 pm 
Much depends on HOW you use a belt. A lot of guys wear their belt as tight as they can make it. Some even get a training partner to help them put in on. If you use a belt in this way, it can definitely become a crutch. However, if you wear your belt snug but not tight this won't happen. Meanwhile, the belt will keep the underlying muscles warm, so they're less likely to stiffen up between sets. More importantly a belt can give you important tactile feedback. For example, if you start to round your back durring a set of deadlifts, you may not see it in the mirror, but if your wearing a belt, you should feel it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:20 pm 

Alright Hoister, did the belt make you weak or did not wearing it change your form? I will agree that if you are lifting for fitness that a belt isn't necessary and you would be cheating yourself by using a belt. However, I personally would never dream of slapping ten plates on and squatting without a belt. Maybe, like yall said, I am cheating myself, but I can't afford the injury. I also would have to say that if you are going heavy you got to have a belt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:47 pm 
Hoosegow - to answer your question, i think it made me both weak and changed my form.

Once the inury occured and healed, i have never worn it again. I lift completely raw (except for chalk). And i believe i am much better off.

Secondly - i always lift heavy - i vary my volume. But i always lift in the range of 90% + of my 1 rep max. NO injuries since! I don't compete (except against myself - there is no better recipe for gains). I have conditioned my body to not need the belt.

Just my $0.02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:51 pm 
The only time I use a belt is for any standing overhead lifts, it helps me keep form.

For a while I wore a belt snugly (as tight as I could get it without forcing it) and I didn't feel it was taking away from any of the work my back was doing during my deadlifts. I've heard people mention that a belt, worn a certain way, is more of a glove than a crutch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:53 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Above post was me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:14 pm 
I know some powerlifters warmup raw and only use a belt for their heaviest sets. That might be a good comprimise.

As for me, I only use a belt for my heavy compound movements, and even then it's never very tight.

Post subject: Alexis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:56 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2