ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:36 pm 
I think 1.6 grams per pound of body weight is the most you can use if I remember right. I am wanting to say 40 grams is the most you can use at one sitting. I'm not 100% sure on that but I think it's right. I try to take in more on the days I lift then the days I don't. A whey protein shake before and after seems to work pretty good. Plus 40 grams of protein or so with regular food meals. I don't have problems with eating so I don't give it much thought. Keeping my carbs low just seems to take care of the rest for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:52 am 
okay im kinda confused with the .8g/lean body weight or body weight

lets say one day all i eat is chicken, id eat 4 ounces for breakfast, 4 for lunch 3 for a snak 4 for dinner and 3 for last snack, so thats 18 ounces, now isnt there 28 grams in an ounce? so im eating 504 grams of protein a day, and i dont weigh 500 pounds lol ( im going for muscle building as well as dropp fat, i dont want to loose weight i wanna gain muscle and cut body fat)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:30 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

OK. John, you had me going there for a while. Approx 1 oz of any lean protein food (read LEAN chicken, fish, etc, it will vary by fat content) equals approx 6 grams of protein. In your example, in ounces, 4,4,3,4,3 equals 18 ounces. That means, that at the high end, you are getting 18 ounces X 6gr P/ ounce 108 grams of protein for your total of the day. And that's on the high end.
Don't confuse 28 grams equalling an ounce, that's stictly an equivalent weight measure. Grams of Protein per ounce of a food are totally different. 1 ounce of a protein food YIELDS 6 grams of protein. And again, that's on the high end, with a very lean source. With salmon, 4 and 1/2 grams of protein come from 1 ounce of fish. Because of the fat content. John, you said you had a Zone center where you work out. If you don't undertand me, get them to expain.
Best of training to you, John
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:39 am 
oh okay so im eating less protein then i should? because that doesnt even come close to the .8grams /bodyweight

now i dont know if i should up the protein heh im confused!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:46 am 
oh and readin thru my zone book it says one unit is 7 grams of protein so im eating anywhere from 18-20 units of protein a day, which is still well blow .6-1 gram/body weight like it suggests in the book, mabye they did that because im tryign to loose 80 some odd pound of fat? do you think i should just add 5 more units of protein to my day to bring my total up to 175 grams? or keep it at 18-20 for 126-140 grams?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:04 am 
oh and yeah mabye i shouldnt add more protein, cause on this diet id need to add a unit of carbs and fat per unit of protein i add, mabye thats why im not at my .6/1g per body weight , cause im 309 pounds right now and trying to loose fat lol , once im at my weight i wanna be i guess then i can up the protein with the carbs and fat to put on muscle faster?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:06 am 

OK, John, where do I start? LOL. You pumped out a few beauts. Yes, I think in your case, with the chicken example you gave, you're way too low on the total daily protein, even for the .6 gr/day, given your bodyweight is 308. However, Doc Sears bases this on your LEAN body weight. I have no idea what your % is. Lets just give an example, and ASSUME it's 30% We'll use your bodyweight as 300 to keep the example math easy. 30% of 300 lbs is 90 lbs, eaving your lean bodyweight at 210. You would then base your protein needs on that. You seem to fit into the "active" range, based on what I've seen in your posts, so we will use ,8 grams in this example. That would indicate you need 168-170 gr protein/day. Divide that number by 7 to come up with blocks required per day, which comes to 24 blocks of P / day, which means, if following the Zone, you would need 24 blocks of C and F to go with it. That sounds pretty high, but hey, your a big guy.
Okay, now, that is based on Zone recommendations. Feel free to tweak it a bit, even doc Sears recommends that. I would begin the tweaking by cutting way back on any starches for the C and concentrating on vegetables. I think you get the idea.
I hope this has cleared up a few points.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:49 pm 
yeah ill have to talk to the zone centre at my gym on monday when i go in about if i should be up at the 24 range for everthing or just have protein up that high or what heh thanks

Post subject: Seth
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:36 am 
DELETED