ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Full Squats
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:40 am 
n00b
n00b

I must state that I am a full squat convert. I have been weight training for 20 years using angle leg press and hack squats as main exercises for training my quadriceps. When I included back squats I limited the movement to slightly above parallel with to much weight to go lower. Three years ago I did some academic research on the full squat. From the studies I read from various universities I discovered full squats are not bad for the knees, placement of the distance between the feet in the stance does not cause a change on the emphasis on the individual muscles in the vastus group, and full squats train the legs better than the angled leg press. If you have good knees and no back problems the full squat is a great exercise. Just start light to learn the exercise and add weight as your technique improves. I started with 135 pounds during my learning phase and today I am full squatting with 355 pounds for 4 sets of 8 reps and I plan to the increase poundage. Good form must be used. I am 57 years old and the full squats are adding size to my quadriceps and increasing my overall strength. I wish I knew the value of full squats years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:54 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I have issues with flexibility in my hip, hamstring and ankle, so full squats are out of my reach right now. When I change programs, I'm tempted to follow your example of going light and gradually upping the weight using full squats while working on becoming more flexible. Squatting below parallel develops the hamstirngs almost as much as the quads, so it becomes a full leg workout.

Right now, I use the front squat for quads and Romanian deadlifts for hamstrings. Front squats seem to target the quads more effectively than back squats, even though I can't use as much weight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:09 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Stephen, Full Squats. Well, I'm 56 now, and have arthritus issues in the right hip, so I no longer load up with a lot of weight in the squats, and stress going full with front and overhead squats specifically targeting flexibility. The no hands version of front squat where you exend your arms out in front of your and rest the bar on your clavicles requires perfect form. I usually do these in the warm up everyday going as deep as possible with just the bar, then move on to a few sets of empty bar overheads. I've found that these two really gets the hips, ankles and shoulder girdle loose.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:10 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Tim

Thanks for the tips. I do front squats with the weight racked against my chest a la the end position of a power clean.Doing it with folded arms was too painful.

At 52 I'm not that far behind you and FullSquat. I never was that flexible, but now I can't afford not to stretch. I've even started taking Yoga classes

Post subject: squatting
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:21 am 
I've been doing full squats for some time now. First it was hard to go below parallel. I lost my form in the bottom. I trained squatting without weights for some time untill I got it right.

I used to have some lower back aches but squatting and deadlifting have strengthened my back, it was probaply just weak muscles. I have a thing about my knees though that concerns me. Although I never experience pain my knees make a *pop* sound often. What could this be? Jumpers knee?

Post subject: Re: squatting
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:31 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

jayman wrote:
I've been doing full squats for some time now. First it was hard to go below parallel. I lost my form in the bottom. I trained squatting without weights for some time untill I got it right.

I used to have some lower back aches but squatting and deadlifting have strengthened my back, it was probaply just weak muscles. I have a thing about my knees though that concerns me. Although I never experience pain my knees make a *pop* sound often. What could this be? Jumpers knee?

I had the same popping knee issue a while back. I did not experience any pain or discomfort.

It was explained to me that it's just nitrogen balls popping and it's OK as long as there is no pain or discomfort. It was explained to me on this very forum by a very helpful contributor Scott Ismari. He seems to have disappeared :(

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]