ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:44 am 
haha yeah i felt like i was going to die when i first started it, i should add i played football and rugby most of my life so mabye that helps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:48 am 
oh also its on the cycle, which is no where near as hard to do long sessions on as running

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:19 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

A couple of interesting articles:

By: Josh Henkin

Quote:
It is important to remember that aerobics and cardiovascular exercise are two completely different terms. Aerobics means training with oxygen, while cardiovascular exercise refers to the function of the heart and blood vessels. It is possible to have great aerobic conditioning while having poor cardiovascular health. In fact, Michael H. Stone has done plenty of research showing the positive cardiovascular benefits of anaerobic training. Stone describes some of the following health benefits of anaerobic training:

� "Resistive training may produce positive changes in serum lipids with the volume of training being the dependant factor (11)."

� "...weight-training may beneficially alter glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity (11)."

� Using an Olympic lifter style program for eight weeks the following health benefits were found: decrease of resting heart rate by 8%, decreased systolic blood pressure by 4%, lean body weight increased by 4%, and bodyfat decreased by 6% (12)!

From Testosterone Nation:

Quote:
There aren't many truisms in the fitness and bodybuilding community. However, one thing can certainly be set in stone:

If you want to be lean, muscular and healthy, you must do cardio!

Or is it….

If you want to look good naked, whatever you do, don't do cardio or you'll lose all your muscle!

No, wait, I think it's….

Cardio is the key to a great body!

Or perhaps….

Cardio is overrated garbage!

Oh hell, I forget which "absolute and irrefutable fact" is correct. It seems there are both experts and idiots on both sides of this cardio conundrum. I've always thought the answer lies somewhere in the middle. The only way to figure it out is to try both extremes and see what happens. Over the years I've overdone the cardio and I've avoided it completely. Through trial and error, I found out what works for me.

Luckily, you don't have to go through this whole process. Why? Because gathered here to talk about the pros and cons of cardio are four of the smartest guys on the planet when it comes to fitness: Charles Staley, Christian Thibaudeau, Dr. Lonnie Lowery and Don Alessi. Here's what they had to say when we sat down to discuss everyone's least favorite form of exercise

Enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:53 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Good post Stephen. Dr. Mel Siff writes very similarly in the book Spertraining (that he co-wrote with the Russian Dr. Verenhonsky-sp?) He cites Dr. Kenneth Cooper, the founder of the Aerobics boom in the late 60's and 70's as up-playing aerobics and down playing resistance training for health and weight concerns. Intereting to note though, a few years ago, Dr. Cooper has back tracked, and actually doesn't even recommend running anymore, rather brisk walking due to joint damage, and only 2-3 brisk walks for a 20-40 minute duration / week for heart health, and has recognized various forms of weight training (Oly, PHA/circuits, etc) as being beneficial for heart health and overall fitness.
Tim

Post subject: Jerry Brainum's Take
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:12 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I posed my question on HIIT vs LSD to Jerry Brainum of Ironman Magazine. His answer is here.

The short of it:

Quote:
For training the cardiovascular system, HIT interval training is without question superior to LSD style of endurance training. The reason relates to the same reason why you gain muscle when you add weight to your exercises, i.e overload. Since the interval system mandates bringing your pulse to a higher level for short periods alternated with lower pulse periods, this stresses the cardiovascular system, which responds by adaptation.

Post subject: arnold
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:46 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2