ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Am I suppose to take creatine only before I perform my workouts, or also on days which I do not, such as weekends when I don't work out? Also, should I take it early in the morning to give my body more time to get water or keep taking it in the evening before my workouts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:35 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Nunya. Before you start taking a supplement, I suggest you research it, to find out what it is supposed to do, how it works, and how to take it. Creatine works as an energy source for the anerobic cycle. Translated, this means harder muscle contractions, for a longer period of time. Also, due to it's physical properties, it draws in water like a magnet. The idea is to take it, and to get the muscle saturated. Yes, this will cause the muscles to appear larger due to the increased water storage with the ceatine in the muscles. Now, for dosage. From all accounts of everything I've read , and tried, a 5-10 gram dose daiy is a good start. It really doesn't matter when you take it, before , after, in the morning, etc. The idea is to to get it ingested and keep the muscles saturated. Some manufacturers/distributor, say to take a 5 day loading period of 20-25 grams day, but I've never found this necessary. Other recommend taking it with a high GI juice or drink to get it into your system via the insulin reaction. I suppose it couldn't hurt, but I've never found that necessary either. Do yourself a favor, do a search on google, dogpile, or the MSN earch engine and read some studies.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:19 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Also realize that there are different types of creatine with slighly different effects and timing. Each product should have instructions on it. There is also some suggestion that loading phases are unnecessary and are only recommended because they want to sell more product.

And remember to drink plenty of water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:31 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I've read about creatine but there is so much conflicting information out there, and you don't know who to really believe when it comes to articles, and thus I decided to ask here to gather reponses from personal opinions. I bought the NOX-CG3 creatine matrix powder to try it out. I can't tell if I've really gotten any bigger or stronger due to it though, or if I just bought a really expensive sugarless Kool-Aid! I guess I expected a larger change or huge difference but I will only realize if it did anything when I stop using it before workouts and see if I get the same strength and pump as now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 am 
Well, if you want opinions, I don't think it is worth while. It fills your muscle with water and gives you a temporary boost in size. It might be able to help with the intensity of the work out, but who knows. I don't believe all that stuff about it being dangerous either. There are plenty of dangerous suppliments out there but I think this is at least a safe one. The only stuff I see any value in using are multivitimins and whey protein. Which those just about fall in the catagory of food really. Good food and lots of water works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:43 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Does it do anything with strength and energy, or just fill you with water? I was under the assumption it would help me get stronger also, and fill me with energy, but I'm not sure I see it when I compare it to energy pills. Thanks for your opinions/experience!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:30 pm 

Well, in my eperience, as I've state before, that in aiding the anaerobic path, it does in fact allow you to lift a little heavier, a little longer. I did notice strength gains, along with some weight gain (water) while using it, and in that way it can help. But also keep in mind, not everyone responds in the same way. Like Ironman, I think it's totally safe, but unless you're an athlete, prepping for a contest, I wouldn't deem it neessary. It might give you an ege, but like all other things, there really is no magic bullet. Just lots of hard work.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:08 pm 

It seems to work for me. I don't buy any of the sugary stuff, though. I get the straight creatine powder. I also use NOxPlode and swear buy it. I can't say that it does anything really for me other than boost my ego. The pumps are absolutely incredible and it seems to give me a mental edge intensity wise. I use glutamine as well and don't seem to be as sore as when I don't use it. I've tried lots of crap and have lots of "no" recommendations. As Tim said, lots of hard work is the best supplement. I believe in creatine and glutamine. If for no other reason, my mind believes it so I perform better. I got my first vein on NOxPlode and woke my wife up at 4:50 to show her (she didn't share my enthusiasm). Like I said earlier, it swells me up and probably does absolutely nothing more than boost my ego. The other stuff I use under the thinking that if I am going to bust my butt 5 times a week, I want every advantage I can get.

I cycle creatine:
5 days - 5 mg X 5 times a day
6 weeks - 10 mg - 5 in the morning - 5 post workout or evening
2-3 weeks - off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:01 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

ive used creatine a few times and never had any problems with it.

in my opinion, it is best to use it when you hit a plateau, as it definitely gives you a 'boost', especially the first time you take it. I was quite sceptical of it but tried it anyway and I loved it, I felt like I could do my workout again.

I took it 4 times a day (5-10g, spread throughout the day) for the first 4-5 days then once a day until you are supposed to come off it. I never took more than recommended and I never took it for longer than I was supposed to - also never missed one when I was on it! This was also the pure creatine powder, nothing else mixed in. If you put it in fruit juice and warm it slightly, it dissolves very easily and you can't taste it( i also added it to my protein shakes).

I felt the effects in the first couple of days of using it. I have heard a lot of people in my gym complain about it, saying it makes them feel ill or doesn't do anything to them but when I ask in more detail, they have not been taking it correctly, either taking far too much (which seems to cause pain in your sides) or far too little - for some reason a large portion of the general public fail to read instructions...

Only downside is that after a while your body seems to get used to it, and it seems to do nothing, which is the only reason I don't take it just now. Definitly worth a try.

KP

Post subject: Jonathan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:08 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]