ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:40 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

If I could eat every meal from a blender, I would.

(a) I don't like to cook. (b) You save energy by not using the oven. (c) No dishes to clean. (d) Fewer calories in the shake. (e) Shakes save time, esp. in the a.m. (f) I mix my protein with organic milk, so I'm getting some calcium. (g) With a shake, you know exactly how much protein you're getting. (h) And really, how much chicken can you eat in a day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

yea, I'm with you. Lazy all the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:55 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hey, TB, your getting up there in years. Speaking of drinking /eating out of a blender, I can remember Dr Ken talking about watching Paul Anderson and others drink their Raw Meat shakes.Not sure I could handle that, but it's definately an easy way to get enough good [protein down your neck.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:54 am 

I like the idea of being lazy. I get ribbed by my collegues here as a lot are Italian and they are shocked when I pull out my lunchbox with a plain chicken breast and boiled veggies in it, or bread with just peanut butter.

Raw meat shakes though?

Just out of interest, does anyone eat raw eggs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:23 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I eat raw eggs occasionally - toss them in my shake, or with various Japanese dishes. Sukiyaki, for example, is a hot pot dish...you toss in veggies and meat, pull them out as soon as they cook (almost immediately) and dip them in raw egg before you eat them. You put raw eggs on top of some meat and rice dishes, too.
That's convinced me that the risks of eating raw eggs here is pretty low...and when I've asked Japanese people if eating raw eggs is risky, they were very surprised by the question.

That's a very long way of saying - yes, I do, because I know eggs are sold here with the expectation that I might be eating them raw. In the US, the expectation is quite the opposite so I'd be less willing to eat raw eggs there. But in a cup, they go down easy...looks slimy, but it's mostly water and tastes and feels that way if you don't break the yolk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:08 am 

I eat raw eggs quite often. The only reason I don't is that it freaks out my wife. The risk of salmonella is quite small even in North America (1 in 30,000 eggs) and any illness passes quickly. The average person in Canada gets food poisoning about once every 3 years so it's really not such a big deal. Even eating say 6 raw eggs a day, wihich is a lot, would be lower risk than most are exposed to anyway. Make sure when you buy the eggs there are no cracked eggs in the carton and the eggs are clean.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... llae.shtml

Too many cooked eggs can lead to egg alergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:11 am 

I never eat raw eggs. I don't even like to eat beef that's less than well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:16 am 

I got out of the habit of raw eggs a few years ago, probably because I don't do shakes that much anmore, but in the younger days, yes, I'd crack them into a homemade shake all the time. It used to be a fairly common pratice.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:06 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Is there any nutritional difference between raw and boiled? I can't imagine that there would be. I always keep boiled eggs in the refrigerator for a handy snack. I've eaten one raw egg in my life and that was enough for me, pretty high YAACCK factor on that for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:11 am 

No, there is no significant difference. The protein changes when cooked but it's just as good. That change is what causes the alergy though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're missing out, Matt. I like to grill a nice thick stake medium rare, where it's still a little bloody in the middle. That's good stuff.

You want to bite into it and let the blood run down your chin! lol Well not really, though sometimes you feel like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:30 pm 
Novice
Novice

I believe that protein supplements can be helpful but not absolutely necessary to develop a great body. What about some of the early bodybuilders who were the pioneers of the sport in the early 1900's? I don't think they used supplements. Their body shapes were a little different compared to the modern bodybuilder, but they were really strong guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:20 am 

Back in the old days, a lot of bodybuilders used whatever they could think of to add protein and nutrients. They might not have had the convenience of modern supplements but they did supplement. I remember as a kid making these concoctions of stuff I read about with ingredients from health food stores like bone meal, brewers yeast, etc. They were quite disgusting and didn't work very well. Of course what worked best were raw eggs and milk by the gallon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

exactly, they used shakes, they just made their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:43 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back in the day when blenders weighed 10 pounds, didn't they put some sort of liver concoction in there? I was born in 1960, and I remember Dave Draper holding up the blender drink, showing off his "20-inch" biceps, everything in the k-word sink in there. And in the movies back then, a hangover cure had you-name-it in it also.

I should start a new subject, what got you into weight lifting. For me it was Charles Atlas and the afore-mentioned Dave Draper et al. ads found in comic books. That, and my father, I mean Santa, gave me my first 110-lb. barbell set at age 8.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next