ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me gain muscle
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:24 pm 
I am 14, 110 pounds. My routine for weight lifting is Monday: Biceps, Triceps,Chest ;Tuesday:Quads, Calves.Wednesday and Friday is the same as monday.Thursday and Saturday is the same as Tuesday. Abs every day. How much should I lift to gain muscle. Lot of weight with few repetitions or little weights with a lot of reps? How much protein should I take? Should my routine be changed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, it should. You need to train everything. Looks like you were going for an upper/lower thing. So let's go with that. 6 days is too much though. Just do 4. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, Friday should be plenty.

On Monday and Tuesday load the bar with what you can lift for 10 to 12 reps, go close to failure, but not all the way.

On Thursday and Friday load it with what you can do for 6 reps, but just do 5. So it will be like 85 to 90% of your 1 rep max. You don't have to be exact though. Just keep adding weight if it's not challenging enough.

If you do 2 or more exercises together you can get away with 1 minute rest. take 2 minutes for straight sets.

upper days
Pair these 2 together
bench press and bent over row, 3 sets each.
alternate between dumbbell and barbell on bench each week. On row do 1 set overhand, 1 underhand and then overhand again, then the following week do it the opposite.

second pair, incline bench and weighted chins/pullups. Alternate between barbell and dumbbell on bench each week. For chins, do 1 wide grip overhand pullup, 1 underhand chinup with more narrow grip, and 1 with palms facing.

upright rows 1 set

barbell curl 1 set

weighted dips 1 set

hammer curls 1 set

lower days
squat and standing calf raise or calf press paired together 4 sets of each
Romanian deadlift 4 straight sets resting 2 minutes between each
wide stance single dumbbell squat 2 sets
weighted situps on decline bench 2 sets

You should get at least 150 grams of protein per day. More is fine but not needed. Some whey protein and simple carbs post workout is needed as well. A weight gainer or just some chocolate milk with whey protein will work.

Eat a variety of protein sources, whey, nuts, soy, eggs, beef, pork, lamb, chicken, fish and so on. In particular tuna, beef and chicken breasts are pretty high, good for getting all your protein in. Eat 6 meals a day, some can be shakes, some should be solid food. Increase your calorie intake in general too. A good rule of thumb is to eat 500 more calories than you are eating now.

Also don't think of abs as some separate entity. It's just another muscle. So just train it as I outlined above.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:08 pm 
thanx a lot ironman. Also, is soy protein good for building muscle? What is a weight gainer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Soy is good. You want to have whey after your workout though. A weight gainer, is a shake mix that has whey protein and simple carbs in it. So you want something like that. Or you just put your whey in some chocolate milk. You want to get 50 or 60 carbs after the workout along with a scoop of whey protein.

Since you are skinny and young and still growing It's really important to make sure you eat a lot.