ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:34 am 
Rookie
Rookie

apart from a good thermo and CV is there any particular exercise whch accelerates fat loss?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:57 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Many of them, mostly focusing on full body, with short rest breaks. Just as an example, my right hip is ful of osteoarthritus , a degenerative condition, so any type of hi impact, such as running is out. So, for a metabolic boost, I use complexes, which are circuits done without rest, same weight, easiest to hardest (done with no rest, it makes the hardest pretty darn hard with a somehat light weight). Clean or snatch grip hi pull to neck X6, clean or snatch grip power snatch X 6, either front or back squat -push press combo X6, good morning X10, Chin Xbwt X 6-10, Pbardips X bw X10. I just did this yesterday w/40. 55, 65, 75,75 lbs and finished in 14 mins. I was breathing like a Rhino for a while afterwards. I took 30-60 secs between rounds. It's comparable to HIIT cardio. I did this in the morning just to get the joints loosened up and the blood flowing. Later, I did a "normal" strength based workout. For more ideas, just think the most work, with the most amount of muscle involved, in the shortest period of time. That will get you into fat loss, but don't forget your diet, it's critical. For more fat loss ideas, see crossfit.com What never fails to spin me up, is why people looking for fat loss, think they have to train like a bodybuilder, i.e. isolating musle groups, long rest periods. For fat loss, get the whole body involved. After you've lost the fat, you will find you've toned up quite nicely, and if you have bodybuilding goals, then go for it, and train by bodyparts, but set the groundwork first. You will also find that your work capacity has improved immensly.
Even Franco Columbo, one of the greatest bodybuilders that ever was, recommended beginners to start out with basics, as in compound movements, with short rest breaks, and in the 10-20 rep range. Apparently he thought this was necessary to build a "bae" and lean out.Most sports conditioning programs do similar, i.e. circuits of full body moves, short rest breaks. This is to cut bodyfat, and build a work base.
OK, now you are going to ask, why short rest breaks? Right. Do some research, but there have been many studies done by many exercise physiologists done with different protocols. Stone, Berger, Kraemer and Fleck, and the list goes on. What they found, was multiple sets, done with compound and multicompound exercises (think squats, deads, snatches, clean push press, row, chins, dips or BP) in the 70% 1 RM, done with a work time to rest ratio of 1.5:1
or even shorter rest breaks, resulted in a much greater output of natural gh hormone output than the other protocols. Think of it this way, keep a set working for 45-70 seconds, for most people thats in the 10-15 rep range with a 70% 1 rm. rest 30-45 secs, and go again. This way, you are not only burning some calories while working, but the gh hormone release is caus the body to burn fat, and repair, build some muscle.
Tim

Post subject: HIIT & SSIT References
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html
http://exrx.net/ExInfo/HIIT.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:55 pm 
former lurker

Nice reading that, however there is one question which I need to ask here. I used to be a regular exerciser but owing to my current job I have to frequently travel places which does not always allow me to perform the exercises routine wise. Lately I am feeling that I might be adding on my weight and this has made me very concerned, now my question is can this be assumed that exercising for a certain period would mean that the effects of the toil that I put in will remain for some days? Or do I need to carry on doing them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:45 pm 
former lurker

Obviously nothing remains for a lifetime, thus if you are going to carry on the effects of the exercise then you have to keep on doing it. Its simple, if you stop doing them then your body does not get to burn the calories but you are not ceasing to take your meals, this will add up to the calories and all the hard work done by you will be of no avail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Still true today:

The best exercise for weight loss is pushing yourself away from the table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:27 am 
n00b
n00b

Hehe northernbelle is right, intake is what gets most people, not their lack of expenditure.

Theres only 2 ways to lose fat:

(1)Surgery. (ugh)

(2)Burning more calories than you take in.

Exercise, especially cardiovascular burns calories, but don't skimp on the resistance training though because it'll raise your BMR and help you burn calories longer throughout the day.

The best is a combo though: cardio and resistance training combined with portion control and healthy eating.

Its much easier to eat 2500 calories a day and burn the excess 3 or 4 hundred calories (hypothetical for example) a day with exercise than it is to eat 3500 and have to burn 13 to 14 hundred with exercise.

Given the choice of avoiding chocolate pie or having to run it off at the end of the day, whooo, I'd rather just pass on the pie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, this one's come back from the dead more times than Jason Vorhees.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]