ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:42 am 
basically i want to know if i can be big and strong ( like 250-300 lbs at 10% body fat or lower) and still be able to run around playing rugby and other cardio intensive stuff

these big guys i see cant do anything cardio wise for the most part, they walk for a bit and thats about it is it even possible for me to get that big and still keep my 45 mins of hard HIIT a day to keep my cardio up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:10 am 
oh also im starting rugby next week 2 practices and 1 game every week till the summer is over, i was going to cut my cardio in gym down to 1 day a week just to make sure i keep my cardio up, and i still want to lift 4 days of the week ( 2 day split done twice)

now i know im going to need to up my food intake to deal with that but will all that cardio from running in rugby or even the cardio i do now 45 mins a day TOPS 5 days a week, will that cause me to not make strength gains or become big and muscular?

im 6'3 300 odd pounds and 22 year old male my goals are to be big and muscular ( 250-300 range at 10% body fat or a bit lower and still be able to run around without dying)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:28 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

John, let's get serious here. You are a big guy. I wouldn't even worry about getting bigger and more muscular. I don't think it's in your gene's to get scrawny. As to sports, well, yes, I think you can be big , cut and run around, but you have to work for it. Sounds like your HIIT has you on the right path. Through in some Rugby related drill and try intervals on the field. The body is amazingly adaptive, and you should be able to do both. Your total size may suffer a bit, but fankly, your big anyway, and I wouldn't loose sleep over it.
Good luck
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:15 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Quote:
basically i want to know if i can be big and strong ( like 250-300 lbs at 10% body fat or lower) and still be able to run around playing rugby and other cardio intensive stuff

I don't follow rugby, so I don't know the size of the players. You do. How many good 250 - 300 lb rugby players do you see? If you don't see any, it means that the sport tends to weed out people of that type. If you do, then you know that it's possible.

Last edited by Stephen Johnson on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:16 am 
Rookie
Rookie

To be 250-300 pounds at 10% body fat is pretty insane. Think NFL linebackers and strongman competitors, that's pretty much the kind of effort you're looking at to reach that point.

I'm 225 and pretty big. 300 is BIG, even at your height. Like TimD said, don't worry losing mass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:38 am 

It is possible, and I don't want to do anything to discourage you, because achieving that goal would be awesome. But I'm sure you're getting the feeling by now that it would take a LOT of work.

P.S. I heard recently that Yao Ming has cut his BF% to 6... 6! On a 300 pound 7'6" guy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:50 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Quote:
P.S. I heard recently that Yao Ming has cut his BF% to 6... 6! On a 300 pound 7'6" guy!

A 300 lb person who is 7' 6" has a BMI of 26, while a person who weighs the same but is 6' 3" has a BMI of 37.5 . That's a big difference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:17 am 
Nothing wrong with being 6'3 at 250-300 with 10%. Being big like that is a good thing for rugby. The big guys you see that can't run, do nothing but lift weights. There could be other types of training that will help you develop other skills that will help when playing rugby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:22 pm 

But there is definately a most efficient weight for a given height.

With more mass, you require better and better shape to move that mass around over the course of the sport event. When you are skinny, you can get positive benefits from gaining muscle because it makes you more efficient, but then you reach a point where adding a pound of muscle does not make you any more efficient and actually begins to take away from your conditioning.

Often times you will see this in powerlifting, a guy will move up a weight class and not do a whole lot better himself but be competing against guys that do get more out of being bigger.

This is why you dont see a ton of 5'5 superheavyweight powerlifters.

Especially in sports where you have to move around a lot, lighter is probably better and I would imagine if you just focused on being the best at your sport by playing a lot you would automatically reach the best point for your optimal performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:48 pm 
It is possible to be big and strong with good speed, agility and cardio, but a lean 300 lbs is beyond big, even at 6'3". In Pumping Iron, Lou Feregno was 275 lbs at 6'5", and he was a monster. At the peak of his bodybuilding career Arnold only weighed ~240 lbs in contest shape and ~250 lbs in the offseason.

I'm not trying to discouage you, I just think your setting the bar awefully high. A lot of NFL linemen weight 300 lbs, but most of them are way over 10% bodyfat. Do you know your current bodyfat %?

Also, is rugby your primary sport or just something you do for fun? If your just playing recreationally, I wouldn't worry too much about cutting weight, especially if you have to give up muscle to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:32 pm 
PS.) I could be wrong, but I don't think rugby players tend to be exceptionally muscular or powerful for their height. Then again, most pro football players twenty or thirty years ago were a lot smaller that most players today, so who knows, maybe 20 or 30 years from now 250 lb rugby players will be common.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:48 pm 
most rugby players in my position are big i play as a foward

the fowards and second rows are the tall and huge guys, im only AVERAGE size for the sport around here

as for being 250-300 at 10% well my lean weight now is 220 pounds by the time i can actually slowly drop the BF with lifting and cardio ill probably be 230 lbm or more so you see what i mean its not TOTALLY unrealistic speciallt to be 250

the rugby thing im part of a rugby union but yeah its recreational im just doing it for fun, get some cardio in without sitting in the cardio section of the gym :P

its ALOT of running so then i can just focus on lifting in the gym

as for my genes ive never been small in my life ive always been big and overweight (overweight part was MY fault not my genes fault lets make that clear) and i have no desire to be scwany at all thats why i was asking if i could be big and still run around well, if its going to canabalize my muscle mass significantly i wouldnt do it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:55 pm 
oh i forgot to add im 6'3 300 pounds right now at 26-29% body fat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:00 pm 
thin and agile may sound good. In rugby it would get you killed. Think about getting tackled by someone who is built like a football player. Think about that with very little protective gear. I am a good size guy and I wouldn't want to take a hit from one of those guys. Weight is not going to be constant either. You can have 2 people of the same height, weight and fat level and have one be more muscular then another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:07 pm 
A lean, solid 250 lbs wouldn't be a bad goal for someone your height. Of course, putting on 30 lbs of muscle will take time, but your young, so time is on your side.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next