ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Post Workout Nutrition
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:27 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dr John Berardi has it all figured out here http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do? ... dy_142post

But in addition to being informative the article is also "a full fledged, in your face, introduction to a new Biotest supplement " so I have to be cautious.

My current post workout nutrition consists of a regular meal. An example meal might be: chicken breast, rice, vegetables.

Should I reconsider this? What has been your experience with various post workout drinks?

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:34 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi George. Well, I read that article, and I can't and wouldn't disagree with Berardi when it comes to the science. It is a pretty blatant ad for a new Biotest product however. My experience has been that right after a workout, I generally have no apetite whatsoever for solid food, so I usually take a post workout shake in similar poportions to what Berardi is talking about, and try to keep the carbs somewhat high up on the glycemic index. Now, your choice of solid food isn't bad. Maybe add some high glycemic fruit if you wish to. In one of Berardi's other articles, he comes right out and says that supplements only make up to a 5% difference, and unless you've already laid a strong foundatio, they won't really matter that much
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:38 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

TimD wrote:
Hi George. Well, I read that article, and I can't and wouldn't disagree with Berardi when it comes to the science. It is a pretty blatant ad for a new Biotest product however. My experience has been that right after a workout, I generally have no apetite whatsoever for solid food, so I usually take a post workout shake in similar poportions to what Berardi is talking about, and try to keep the carbs somewhat high up on the glycemic index. Now, your choice of solid food isn't bad. Maybe add some high glycemic fruit if you wish to. In one of Berardi's other articles, he comes right out and says that supplements only make up to a 5% difference, and unless you've already laid a strong foundatio, they won't really matter that much
Tim

Tim,

Do you make the shake yourself?

P.S. Thanks for moving the topic to the approporiate forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:11 pm 

Yes, I used to make them myself. It all depended on what I had on hand. Sometimes I went with a straight MRP, at other times I might mix some straight protein powder with milk or fruit juice. I think my two favorites are a vanilla protein powder mixe with about 6 oz of pineapple juice with milk or water, and a vanilla or strawberry flavored powder with some milk and frozen strawberries. . I also took a couple of ish oil tabs separately. Your imagination is the only limiting factor. I've seen some people turn it into a gainer, and add ice cream and peanut butter, but I like the lower calorie, yet nutient dense stuff better.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:35 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I just have to add a tip on my favorite way to make post workout shakes bearable. I freeze my bananas right when they get so ripe that I have to either use them or throw them out.

I just peel and slice them, and put them in individual ziploc bags. Then I toss them in the blender with my protein shakes.

It makes them thick and icy like a milk shake. Makes almost any lousy protein shake better.

I generally start with a regular vanilla protein shake, and I often add a little chocolate (it doesn't take much)

You can get pretty inexpensive protein mixes on the web without going for any particular brand. I think there isn't a lot of difference

although.. a regular meal is great too!

dian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:10 am 
Novice
Novice

I do my workouts in the evening after I put the kids to bed. And since I end up finishing shortly before I go to bed myself, I prefer a shake to solid food. I've found that 2 scoops of chocolate whey protein powder mixed with 8 oz water or milk and 8 oz OJ makes it taste like an Orange Julius. Not quite sure why, but I stumbled on it and like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:48 am 
n00b
n00b

George G wrote:
Dr John Berardi has it all figured out here http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do? ... dy_142post

But in addition to being informative the article is also "a full fledged, in your face, introduction to a new Biotest supplement " so I have to be cautious.

My current post workout nutrition consists of a regular meal. An example meal might be: chicken breast, rice, vegetables.

Should I reconsider this? What has been your experience with various post workout drinks?

Thank you.

A shake isn't a bad idea. It's digested quicker and available sooner. A regular meal is optimal, though not always feasible. I'd be suspect of anything from T Nation or Biotest. Just not the best company/site in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:35 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I take a protein shake on days that I lift weights. Should I also take one on days where I only do cardio, or days where I don't do anything at all and relax?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:53 am 

Protein powders are just a supplement. Pure and simple. If you are not getting enough in your diet, then it's an easy, convenient way to get your requirement met. After a workout, a shake is often used, because of it's convenience and it's an easy way to get post workout nutrition, especially if you are like me and wouldn't even think of choking down solid food at that time. On off days, your body is in maint/repair mode, and again, you have certain protein requirements (along with carb, fat, and other nutrients), and if you aren't getting your requirements met, then take a shake. If you just want to take a shake, then fine, but it certainly is not necessary. IMO thise workout drinks are way overhyped. Protein powder is nt a magic bullet, it just helps you get your requirements met if you are deficient (which by the way, most Americans are NOT).
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:09 pm 
n00b
n00b

TimD wrote:
Protein powder is nt a magic bullet, it just helps you get your requirements met if you are deficient (which by the way, most Americans are NOT).
Tim

Evidence for which can be seen at the local mall's food court.

I'd offer one modification to this, and that is on off days get whole food. Protein shakes are absorbed very fast and are more suited for use around workouts where quick bioavailability of protein and carbs is needed. From a nutrition and cost effectiveness standpoint it's best to use them on workout days, pre, post or both.

During off days you really should have a good, constant stream of nutrients and whole food is the best option. For protein, beef jerkey or canned/bagged tuna, and for carbs, raw oatmeal and flax meal are good options for portable food sources. I always have a few cans of tuna in my desk at work. Take it easy on the flax though. That much fiber and protein in your diet is sure to liven up your digestive system if you're not used to it.

If you want to use a shake to help fill out a caloric defecit and turn it into a surplus, don't use the shake to replace a meal, use to augment one.

Post subject: fergus
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:20 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]