ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:25 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi folks,

Thought you were done with me didn't you? Not! Was posting a while back and got a lot of great advice from you for a 59 yr. old out of shape guy who was sick and tired of being sick and tired, and wanted to start working out with a weider max (poor mans bow flex).

After getting all that great advice (thanks again) my back went so., and i couldn't do any exercise at all for a long time. Got another mri and now have 4 herniated disks. For some reason, my back mussels are getting better, so i started back (ever so easy) working out again. About 2 wks.

I need your thoughts on a few things. I will be 60 in three days (don't tell anyone ok?), and i'm using the machine m,w,f, doing 2 sets on each group w. very little resistance. I first use the recumbant for 10 min. to warm up, then do the routine, and then walk-hike up and down diit road hills for 30 min., and then stretch after words. At my age, is doing full body workouts m,w,f, enough recovery time? Also, could i warm up just doing easy pre sets, and forget the 10 min. bike? Or would both be better? I need to drop about 35lbs also.

Also, with my h. disks i can't do shoulder presses any more, and also, doing a bench press using the lower pulleys and the bench at 45 degrees, my lower back feels strange, so i stopped doing it, and am trying to find other chest and shoulder exercises instead. Can't do flys on the bench at 45 degrees also. Been doing other exercises for chest and sholder, but not sure if they are the best ones. Help!

Last time i was on this forum i was given advice to do full body work outs 3 times per wk. like m w f. After reading Ronald G's post, i"m a little confused. At 60, is it too much doing all-3 times per wk? I read some where on this forum? that at 60, once per wk. per group is plenty. Should i stick with the 3 times per wk. for a while? Just wish my back would allow me to use real weights. Using d.b's would be nice, but i can't. Thanks.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:25 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Frank

Sorry to hear about your back troubles. Four herniated discs isn't a minor back injury. You should be very careful about how you exercise. In fact, you should exercise only under the guidance of a licensed physical therapist. The last thing that you want to do is to extend the injury.

The three times a week full body stuff - which assumes a healthy trainer looking to pack on muscle - doesn't apply to you. You should aim to do some physical activity each day that doesn't aggravate your back. A physical therapist can work with you to devise a workout to strengthen your back.

If I recall correctly, you also had some weight problems. Excess weight around the middle puts additional strain on the back. Losing that spare tire should be your top priority.

Get well, and good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:47 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I agree w/Stephen. No matter what age you are, your herniated disks require special consideration as put forth by a competent phyician/therapist. That said, a normal healthy 60 year old should have no problem with 3 day's week or more, if eased into correctly. Checkout the home page on crossfit.com Todays featured pic and video clip is of a 60year old couple celebrating hubby's 60th B Day doing full squat snatches.
Tim (58 and train at least 5X week)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:34 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

[q

3 times per wk. as in full body workouts, or should i still work out 3 days per wk., but hit groups only once per wk. as in: monday, half upper, wensday, other half upper, and friday, legs.

I don't have the luxury to have a p. t. to help out, so it's hit and miss, only this time i can't miss. All i have is you guys. So far it's working, i just can't do anything that aggravates my back.

Frank

uote="TimD"]I agree w/Stephen. No matter what age you are, your herniated disks require special consideration as put forth by a competent phyician/therapist. That said, a normal healthy 60 year old should have no problem with 3 day's week or more, if eased into correctly. Checkout the home page on crossfit.com Todays featured pic and video clip is of a 60year old couple celebrating hubby's 60th B Day doing full squat snatches.
Tim (58 and train at least 5X week)[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:47 am 

How fast your body recovers is dependent on how hard you train. I would stick to 3 days a week full body but if you feel like you need to take a break do it. Listen to your body. Unless you're training brutally hard you should try to hit each body part at least twice a week in oder to maintain conditioning.

Stu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:53 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

anzafrank wrote:
[I don't have the luxury to have a p. t. to help out, so it's hit and miss, only this time i can't miss. All i have is you guys. So far it's working, i just can't do anything that aggravates my back.

I did a Google search and came up with this sitefor lower back exercises. Treating your lower back pain via exercise and stretching should be your top priority. There will be plenty of time for you to exercise the rest of your body once you recover.

Some other links are listed below.

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cons ... hab02.html
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_80309801

Be careful, and good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:15 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

stuward wrote:
How fast your body recovers is dependent on how hard you train. I would stick to 3 days a week full body but if you feel like you need to take a break do it. Listen to your body. Unless you're training brutally hard you should try to hit each body part at least twice a week in oder to maintain conditioning.

Stu

I don't work out hard at all! So maybe 3 per wk. will work fine, and poss. be better for wt. loss. My main goal is to walk-hike 30 min at the end of each work out 3 times per wk. with my back the most important deal for now. I can't tell you how happy i am that i can do that now.

Still don't know if doing light pre sets would take the place of getting on the recumbent cycle for 10 min. for a warm up before working out, or best if i do both? Still got the pot. Not the smoking stuff. Thanks,

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:23 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stephen Johnson wrote:
anzafrank wrote:
[I don't have the luxury to have a p. t. to help out, so it's hit and miss, only this time i can't miss. All i have is you guys. So far it's working, i just can't do anything that aggravates my back.

I did a Google search and came up with this sitefor lower back exercises. Treating your lower back pain via exercise and stretching should be your top priority. There will be plenty of time for you to exercise the rest of your body once you recover.

Some other links are listed below.

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cons ... hab02.html
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_80309801

Be careful, and good luck.

Thanks for finding that Steve. I had it before, and lost it. I put it on fav. The back, and loosing 35lbs. are top of the list. The machine training takes a back seat with walking on top for now. Thank,

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:38 pm 

anzafrank wrote:

Still don't know if doing light pre sets would take the place of getting on the recumbent cycle for 10 min. for a warm up before working out, or best if i do both? Still got the pot. Not the smoking stuff. Thanks,

Frank

You have to do what seems right for you. Warming up helps prevent injuries. You're stronger and more flexible if you're completely warmed up. You need a few minutes of general warm up, it doesn't have to be 10 minutes. In some cases 5 is enough, especially if it's warm. The light pre sets are important in any case. They are not a replacement for the general warmup, they are required for specific warmup.

Stu