ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:12 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I've dislocated both shoulders over the course of last summer (outside of the gym) and I have a some serious issue with strengthing them to prevent this. I have a relatively strong back and chest, as well as most shoulder movements, but, I can not do this movement:

with any weight without dislocating my shoulders. This has been an issue for things like shoulder presses, incline presses, and, of course, pullovers.

I obviously have a chronic shoulder problem, so I'm wondering, besides surgery, what I can do to remdiate this (ie, training). As I said, I can't do the exercise above without injuring myself, so I'm not sure how to go about this.

I really don't want, or have time, to go to physio, so I'm hoping you have some suggestions for me.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:34 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Quote:
I have a relatively strong back and chest, as well as most shoulder movements, but, I can not do this movement:

Then don't do it! You're asking for trouble if you do!

Accept the fact that you're injured and that you have to take steps to restore your shoulders to health, including - if the need arises - surgery and rehab.

But to answer your post, here is a link to rotator cuff exercises and here is another to dislocated shoulder rehab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:45 pm 
Have you mensioned this to your doctor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:32 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

No... I don't see a the doctor unless it's in the ER.

As I said, I'm not interested in surgery, and have little time for physio, so I'd rather work on it on my own.

I found this morning I could do this movement, very carefully, but with a large book (4-5 lbs). Any more and I would likely injure my shoulder again.

A little bit more research and I was able to find that my problem is an anterior instability, possibly due to external shoulder rotation inflexibility...

So I'm basically looking for exercises which focus on tightening the ligaments around the shoulder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:23 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Blue_Nose wrote:
I've dislocated both shoulders over the course of last summer (outside of the gym) and I have a some serious issue with strengthing them to prevent this. I have a relatively strong back and chest, as well as most shoulder movements, but, I can not do this movement:

with any weight without dislocating my shoulders. This has been an issue for things like shoulder presses, incline presses, and, of course, pullovers.

I obviously have a chronic shoulder problem, so I'm wondering, besides surgery, what I can do to remdiate this (ie, training). As I said, I can't do the exercise above without injuring myself, so I'm not sure how to go about this.

I really don't want, or have time, to go to physio, so I'm hoping you have some suggestions for me.

Thanks

I have the problem where my left shoulder gets very weak when it's being pushed back and have almost dislocated it a couple times on Arnold Presses (reason I don't do them anymore). I do pullovers all the time though and find I never have a problem as long as I keep the weight balanced in the middle. Are you sure you're going straight back exactly and aren't leaning the weight towards one side or another?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:16 am 
Dude, just dont do this exercise..its not necessary. I have a similar problem with my left shoulder..where it pops or dislocates on me if put in certain positions. That move would be disastrous for me! My shoulder has been like this for 5 years and I too, refuse to ever go to the drs about it and will just live with it. Anything that brings my elbow behind my shoulder it feels unstable. So for example if i do military presses i have to be cautious that my elbow doesnt drift back and stays more in front of my body, or the shoulder will most likely dislocate and give out. It used to hurt like hell when it happened, now its just a very brief period of pain and goes away. I'm not sure theres any exercises to fix the problem, the way i figure since i didnt do anything about it when i first injured it its probably permanent unless i got surgery. It has no effect on my bench press, nor any of the other basic moves. The pullover is one of the very few that i cant do...and since im right handed i can still throw and everything. So i wont be doctor bound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:41 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Apparently, this type of shoulder instability is quite common in "men in their early 20s" (source), which is the group I fall into. On top of that, I'm 6'3", so any exercise that has my arms outstretched in any position puts a lot of stress on my shoulder joints.

Like you, JeffD, I have to be very careful when doing these exercises (shoulder presses, inclined presses), as I can feel the instability. I want to be able to fix this if I can, though - I weight train for strength gains, so the insecurity I have due to this is not acceptable, in my mind.

It's been recommended to me that I perform these 'pendulum' exercises, which is just holding a weight (I use about 30lbs) in a bentover position, allowing the weight to rotate in small circles. This will apparently strengthen the ligaments which control the joint, but I'm not sure if my shoulder should be relaxed or not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:02 am 
Sounds like we have the same problem. Im pretty sure mine probably originated from doing tons of benching and no rowing when i first started working out. Incline benching i can do without issue, i just have to be extra careful when i rack the bar (thats how i initially hurt my shoulder).

I know what you mean about worrying about the instability though, any time i have to lift something over my head just in regular life its always in the back of my mind..

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]