ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:23 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've recently shifted onto this diet (cut off some ancillary things) in the hopes of having a calorie deficit of about 500 calories per day. I workout for about an hour six times a week as it stands (though I will be cutting that down as it seems to be overtraining)

What needs work with this?

Note: I am at University so there is only so much I can vary my meal schedule.

Breakfast:

2 "scoops" of egg white (probably 1.5 Cups) in an omelette with Vegetables and "a little" american cheese.

1 Bagel

Lunch (Right after Workout):

1 Piece of Grilled Chicken (4 oz?)
Medium sized salad with some croutons and balasmaic vinagrette
Grilled Sandwich
- On organic whole wheat bread
- Turkey or Roast Beef
- Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber
- Mustard

Dinner:
1 Piece of Grilled Chicken
Same Salad
Another 400 calories or so of stuff from whatever else they have around (to mix things up). Maybe some pasta and some protein.

I also only drink water (can't drink milk), but I do take Vitamin and Calcium supplements.

Note: My BMR is 2035

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:54 pm 

Try to add more protein to the diet, what is recommended by most is 1g per # of LEAN body weight. Try splitting up into smaller portions and more meals through out the day. Try to have 5-6 meals instead of the old breakfast lunch dinner. For one of those meals supplement in some whey protein. Try yogurt, oatmeal, I don't see any fruits, I noticed lots of carbs that would keep you from losing weight, nuts as a snack and try to get wheat pasta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In addition to that, you need to eat more in general. It depends on your size though. We need more information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm 18 and a freshman in University.

I am about 6'2" and 184lbs.

Note: I can't really eat 5-6 meals a day with my meal plan.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:09 pm 

Quote:
Note: I can't really eat 5-6 meals a day with my meal plan

That is a bunch of crap, you have to change your meal plan to a different one then. Not unless you meant...

Quote:
Note: I can't eat 5-6 meals a day because my scheduling with school won't allow me to eat that many meals

Then there could be a problem but still you should be able to sneak in a handful of nuts here and there. Also can you drink anything in your classes, because if you can you can mix up some whey protein in a bottle and drink it use that as a meal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:22 pm 

People get caught up in the "eat 5-6 times a day" thing. They do it now, just not thinking about it. A snickers bar is a meal, just a very bad one. Like ironmaiden said, a handful of nuts or a protein drink is a meal. The trick is to plan your snacks. Make it something you can carry in your backpack and eat between classes. Make it healthy with protein, good fats and slow carbs. It doesn't have to be elaborate or very large.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:27 pm 

O but you got to remember stu there is nuts in a snickers bars. and you got to remember the antioxidants in the chocolate...

But in all seriousness I'd say plan for a quick 300-400 calorie meal and if you use nuts that will add up very quickly. Or try a meal replacement bar ex: myoplex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

I guess I'll try to bring some fruit along with me to class and work on finding some kind of whey protein thing, but I can't mix them with milk, so that limits my ability to get something tasty.

Also, ironmaiden, interestingly enough I'm from Buffalo also (though I'm attending school elsewhere)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:45 pm 

I do it with water all the time, it disgusting and nauseating at times but you got to get your protein.

Where did you live around here? I live in wheatfield. Ha, I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to go to a school in this area...most poor city in the US right here. Real attitude booster...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:56 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I mix 100% unflavored whey protein with water all the time. Mix it in a PET bottle, leave it in the fridge until it gets cold. I the flavored stuff tastes weird in water, it's formulated to go in juice or milk. The unflavored stuff just tastes sort of like really weak milk. I often bring one of them for a snack (500ml of water, 1 scoop of whey at 15g protein, and a handful of nuts for some fats and carbs).

But yeah, chocolate whey powder or whatever in water sucks. But snacks are easy to make. Think "trail mix." Nuts, dried fruit. Skip the usual chocolate chips and sugared dried fruit, get the plain stuff. Some bars are good, depending on your diet. Check the ingredients...some are like candy bars (a few grams of protein and a pile of sugars isn't a "protein bar" - a snickers at least tastes much better!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:23 am 

Jerky is always good. It is low in fat and high in protein. At 18, the salt shouldn't be a concern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:11 am 

Neb154 wrote:
I guess I'll try to bring some fruit along with me to class and work on finding some kind of whey protein thing, but I can't mix them with milk, so that limits my ability to get something tasty.

Also, ironmaiden, interestingly enough I'm from Buffalo also (though I'm attending school elsewhere)

Try skipping the milk for the protein shakes, use water and a spoon of peanut butter. It seems to give it a nice consistency, extra protein and tastes better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:04 pm 

He already stated 2 times that he can't drink milk....

Quote:
but I can't mix them with milk

Quote:
I also only drink water (can't drink milk)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

ironmaiden708 wrote:
I do it with water all the time, it disgusting and nauseating at times but you got to get your protein.

Where did you live around here? I live in wheatfield. Ha, I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to go to a school in this area...most poor city in the US right here. Real attitude booster...

I'm from the city actually, and I really know about the optimism it breeds.. or incredible lack thereof.

I'll look at adding more protein to my diet (firstly, does adding another piece of chicken to lunch seem like a good idea?).

Also, any specific on suggestions on any specific whey shakes that'll work well with water?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:40 pm 

In general all protein wheys will work, read the labels all of them should say mix with milk or water. Get a shaker, it will make it much easier to mix the clumps of protein. Flavors...if you can handle the taste then go for it, or try and find flavorless whey that pdellorto mentioned.

Your diet, have a 8-10 oz peice of chicken and try to add more variety in there. Try the things I mentioned in my first post and what other have posted. Also go eay on the carbs to since alot of your evergy will come from the fat thats in the beef, chicken that your eating.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next