ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: good result
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:01 am 
Rookie
Rookie

i'm doing the 5 reps 3 sets exercise and i'm getting a good result, i was planing on continuing for 2 months and then change to the 6 reps 3 sets.

know i'm in my 2nd month, changing to the 6 reps 3 sets do i need to decrease the wight or keep it the same ?!

coz when i do my 5 reps the wight is heavy, on my fifth count i'm done i reach my limits so when i change to 6 reps keep the wight or decrease or increase ?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:42 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

If you can do an extra rep per set with the same weight then you have made progress, so I would shoot for that. Progress is commonly only associated with increasing the weight, but there's various ways to progress...

Doing more volume (more reps) with the same weight is one way. Doing the same weight, and the same volume (reps), but in less time (shorter rest) is also positive progess...

And obviously, increasing weight is progress as well.

So to conclude, aim for 6 reps with the same weight, even if you only get one of the sets to 6 reps, and the others are at 5, you've still progressed by one rep, and you can work up to 3 sets of 6 reps.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:58 am 
Rookie
Rookie

thanx alot man i'll do that after i finish my 2nd month, sometimes when i lift my right shoulder kills me but not all the time specially when i do chest, does that mean it's too heavy ?!!

is it ok if i didn't complete my set ?! like if i did 3 reps or 4 coz sometimes my hand stops and freezes when i lift my last or my 4th rep i feel like i reached my limits that's it i can't lift it nomore, just i little push from my friend and i put it back. do i need to do something to recover that or just do my other set normally ?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:27 am 

I would need to see what all your training is like to comment on the shoulder thing so if you post a typical weeks program then i will see if anything jumps out. It could be a sign that your shoulders are under too much stress, which could be a result of various things. Most commonly, an unbalanced program.

Different exercises have different effects on your shoulders, so if you do lots of exercises that put them under the same kind of stress, then you could injure it, eventually. An example is people who do loads of exercises for chest, but hardly any for back i.e. push vs pull. The 'too much chest' thing is very common - I was guilty of it myself, and ended up injured.

There's different opinions on this, but personally, I lift until one rep shy of failure... So if i'm going to fail on rep 5, I won't attempt the 5th rep, stopping after the fourth. When I do fail, it's what's been termed 'technical failure' - If I can't complete the rep with perfect form, I stop... instead of wiggling about trying to make the rep... So yes, it's ok to stop the set early if your approaching failure. Infact, it would be much more beneficial than doing one or 2 wild reps after failure, if that makes sense.

Hope that helps.

KPj

p.s if its barbel bench press that's hurting your shoulder, try switching to dumbbell bench press and see if it makes a difference...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:57 am 
Rookie
Rookie

well i do 4 days a week program in between i take a day off or do cardio :

i start with back and biceps, for back i do 5 exercises :

1. front pulldown
2. seated high row
3. cable front pulldown
4. cable seated row
5. dumbbell bent-over row

for biceps 3 exercises :

1. dumbbell curl
2. barbell burl
3. hammer curl

then i do wrist exercises, wrist curl and reverse wrist curl

this is for day 1

day 2 i do chest and triceps, for chest 5 exercises

1. barbell bench press
2. barbell Incline Bench Press
3. lever Decline Chest Press
4. lever Seated Fly
5. lever chest dip

for triceps 3 exercises :

1. barbel Lying Triceps Extension
2. lever Triceps Dip
3. cable pushdown

this is for day 2

day 3 i do only cardio

day 4 shoulders, i do 6 exercises 2 for each muscle part

1. barbell shoulder press
2. barbell front raise
3. Lever Lateral Raise
4. Dumbbell Raise
5. Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise
6. Dumbbell Seated Rear Lateral Raise

this is day 4

day 5 legs

1. squat
2. deadlift
3. sled leg press
4. leg extension
5. lying leg curl
6. calves

this is my program is it ok or too much ?!!
do i need to do the exercises in the same order or i can mix them up ?!!

i would like to have a good form nice round shape shoulder, r these exercises ok ?!! or there is something else i can do to get the shape ?

thanx KPJ for ur help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:03 am 
Rookie
Rookie

i'm doing 3 sets 5 reps is this fine ?!!

coz i read once that they suggest to do 5 sets 5 reps ?!!

which one should i do ?!!

Post subject: Are you a body builder?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:46 am 
n00b
n00b

There’s no point in doing the same number of sets and reps every time. Why not reduce the weight and do 4 sets of 12 for a week, then increase the weight and do 2 sets of 4 the following week? The week after that, go back to you’re old weight and see if you can do if for 3 sets of 6.

Also, most forearm exercises put too much stress on the wrists. If you do plenty of work with free weights, gripping the bar and locking the wrists in place during the heavier lifts will work your forearms.

I think you are over training your shoulders. You could cut out the shoulder day all together. Your anterior delts are getting lots of work on your chest day, your posterior delts are worked on back day, and traps get worked as you do dead lifts on your leg day. Just replace one of your 3 variations of bench press (this could be one reason for the shoulder problem) with an overhead/military press on your chest day. On your back day, replace one of your cable rows with an upright row, and replace one of your pull-downs with a lateral extension.

I’m really not a fan of these body builder style routines that aim to isolate each muscle three different ways. They put too much stress on certain areas (as you are finding out with your shoulder pain), and they are much more effective for body builders because body builders A. Are genetic freaks of nature B. Live in the gym and have acclimated to the stress C. are on steroids, or D. All of the above. For us humans, I think it is more effective to use compound lifts that help to stimulate growth hormone levels as we work out, which is not as necessary for a body builder whose testosterone levels are already through the roof.

I think you’d be better off using a 2-way split, or doing a full body workout every other day.

http://www.exrx.net/Questions/FullBodyWorkout.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:11 am 

kal wrote:
i'm doing 3 sets 5 reps is this fine ?!!

coz i read once that they suggest to do 5 sets 5 reps ?!!

which one should i do ?!!

There is a declining benefit to more sets. You may get 80% of the benefit from your workout doing 3 sets vs 5. On the other hand, 5 sets may be too many and cause you to plateau earlier than otherwise. It's a very personal thing. You need to do what's right for you right now. I agree with Traderless Jack. There is a lot of value in mixing up the rep/set pattern.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:13 am 
Rookie
Rookie

well i'm getting a good result from doing this exercise 3X5 with heavy weights, i'm not into bodybuilding i just want to tone my body coz i also play soccer and run so i don't want to be bulky, i'll do this exercise for 2 months and then switch maybe to a full body exercise.

my body is getting toned from the result i get. do u suggest that i don't do shoulder exercise ?!!

but i'm wondering, when i switch to a full body exercise i'm gonna do 1 exercise for each muscle, isn't that few ?!! since the muscles have different parts is one exercise enough ?!! and doing 1 exercise wont make me feel tired and sweaty i'll feel like i didn't train !! what about the weight is it ok if i decrease the weight i use to carry coz i don't think that i can do 12 or 10 with the same weight, and do i do 2 or 3 set ?!!

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html

the 1st box do i choose which workout and on the left the days i workout right ?!
but when i enter there is 4 options and a lot of exercises, do i choose 1 from the 4 options and 1 exercise for each muscle ?!!

i found a program on bodybuilding.com for a full body exercise it was good and clear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:41 am 

Quote:
but i'm wondering, when i switch to a full body exercise i'm gonna do 1 exercise for each muscle, isn't that few ?!! since the muscles have different parts is one exercise enough ?!! and doing 1 exercise wont make me feel tired and sweaty i'll feel like i didn't train !! what about the weight is it ok if i decrease the weight i use to carry coz i don't think that i can do 12 or 10 with the same weight, and do i do 2 or 3 set ?!!

Doing full body does mean fewer sets per body part per workout but because of the higher frequency you will do the same amount of work for each body part overall, however, you get to overload you muscles more often.

Also, using bigger compound movements work more body parts in each exercise. The Olympic lifts are actually full body exercises.

The other benefit to doing full body exercises is that if your schedule gets messed up and you have to take a day or 2 off, your training plan is not out the window.

Quote:
my body is getting toned from the result i get. do u suggest that i don't do shoulder exercise ?!!

It's not that you shouldn't exercise your shoulders, it's just the inefficient way you do it. An entire workout to do 6 exercises to work your shoulders when you can do as an effective a job doing a few sets of push presses in between your front squat sets.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:52 am 
Rookie
Rookie

do i only do 2 sets for a full body workout ?! or i can do more ?!! what about the reps 8-12 which is the best to do 10 ?!!

is it ok to decrease the weight i use to carry ?!

i'm doing 3X5 now and i carry heavy weights, but i'm sure that i can't do 8-12 with the same weight coz it's heavy. i'm i not benefiting when i decrease the weight ?!! coz i use to carry heavy weights and then lighter ?!!

i'm not into bodybuilding as i said before, don't want to bulk up just maintain as i'm know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:31 am 

Quote:
do i only do 2 sets for a full body workout ?! or i can do more ?!! what about the reps 8-12 which is the best to do 10 ?!!

You can do as many sets as you want. A good rule of thumb is to lmit your total sets to between 20-25. If you want to do 10 exercises you can fit in 2 sets of each, 4 exercises you can do 6 of each.

Quote:
is it ok to decrease the weight i use to carry ?!

I'm not sure I understand the question but if you are asking if it's OK to use a lower weight, yes. In fact you should at times. if you are working on technique or cycling rep ranges or doing active recovery you need to.

Quote:
i'm doing 3X5 now and i carry heavy weights, but i'm sure that i can't do 8-12 with the same weight coz it's heavy. i'm i not benefiting when i decrease the weight ?!! coz i use to carry heavy weights and then lighter ?!!

8-12 will be harder than 5 reps because its more reps. That's normal. There should be a rep range calculator on this site but I can't find it. I know 5 reps = 87% of 1RM but 10 reps = 75% 1RM.

Quote:
i'm not into bodybuilding as i said before, don't want to bulk up just maintain as i'm know.

Many of us are in this position. As you get older it becomes increasing hard to hold onto your strength and power. Size becomes less important. At my age, no one cares how big you look. People are most impressed by a lack of a beer belly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

If I am right then the pain your feeling in your shoulder only comes when your flat benching. What that is or so I have been told is a tendon straining. When you get that pain do not try to lift through it. You might end up injuring yourself more. A replacement for flat bench that would give you very similiar results would be decline bench although that supposedly gives you a very box shaped pec region. If you have time really just sit down and read this entire site. I have learned a lot and I know there is a lot more to learn. Good luck and I hope your chest feels ok.

corless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:02 am 
Rookie
Rookie

buddy you are totally new to weight training. you need to go by an actual book written by a personal trainer or fitness expert. NOT b body builder. if your only changing your workout every 2 months you are wasting 6 weeks worth of training. i change my workout every 2 weeks. i train in a different manner every time different weight different sets differetn reps and different intensities. change it up and get educated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with a lot of that. But please don't get any advice from a personal trainer or you will end up doing all your exercises on a swiss ball with 3 lbs pink dumbbells.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next