ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Split Routine
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:00 pm 
I'm changing my training split starting on Monday. My new split looks like this.

Monday - delts, biceps, abs/obliques
Tuesday - back, traps, forearms
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - chest, triceps, abs/obliques
Friday - quads, hamstrings, calves
Saturday - rest
Sunday - rest

This should keep my Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday workouts down to about an hour. Meanwhile, my Friday workout generally runs about 90 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:33 pm 
n00b
n00b

I think you should change the quads, hamstring, and calves to Monday. Legs requires a lot of energy and effort to train properly. Two days of rest will ensure your body has sufficient reserves for the demands for training the legs.
Training the biceps before the day you train the back is backwards. Your back training will require rested biceps for the rows and pulldowns for training the back.

My split routine is also four days;

Monday - quads, hamstrings
Tuesdays – chest, shoulders, triceps
Wednesday - rest
Thursday – back, traps, biceps
Friday – abs, calves
Saturday – rest
Sunday – rest

My split routine is a basic push-pull routine. I train the pushing muscles on the same day,Tuesday, and the pulling muscles,Thursday, on the same day.
The legs are trained on a separate day, the first training day of the week. The abs and calves are trained on the last training day of the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:09 pm 
I've found I need rest most after a hard leg workout, not before. If I train legs early in the week it takes my legs longer to recover. Meanwhile, other unrelated muscles like arms also take longer to recover if I train them while my legs are still soar.

As for training biceps the day before before back, I've done this before, and while my biceps are a little soar on back day, this doesn't seem to interfere with me doing pull-downs and rows. If anything it helps me focus on using my upper back muscles to move the weight.

PS.) I include standard deadlifts in my leg routine, since I feel it's primarilly a lower body movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:24 pm 
I like to do squats and deadlifts on seperate days. If I were doing a 4 day split i'd put squats on Tuesday and deadlifts on Friday. I find that since those 2 exercises are so taxing I cant work each to to its fullest doing them in the same workout...ill just be too gassed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:39 pm 
I agree doing squats and deadlifts in the same workout isn't ideal, but I don't know how else to include both in my program. I used to do Standard Deadlifts on Tuesdays, and Barbell Squats and Strait-leg Deadlifts on Fridays. That worked well for a while, but as I got stronger, I found that my erectors didn't have enough time to recover. Not only did my gains grind to a halt, but for a while I actually started getting weaker instead of stronger. After that I quit doing Standard Deadlifts for several months, and only recently started doing them again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:18 pm 
I suppose I could try doing Squats on Tuesdays and do Standard Deadlifts with hamstrings on Fridays. However, I'm afraid that still wouldn't give my lower back enough recovery time. Plus I've always trained quads and hamstrings together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:07 am 
If you can handle both on the same day theres definitely nothing wrong with it...other than maybe making your workout drag a little long. I just know when i used to do it i would always end up holding back on whichever one i did first trying to conserve energy, or even worse if i felt really wore out id end up skipping the second one altogether! Plus now i do hack squats, which is like a reverse deadlift...and i know that would be way too much on my lower back in one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:39 pm 
Honestly, I can't go nearly as heavy on standard deadlifts when I do them after squats. This isn't because my legs/glutes are tired, but rather because of my erectors. Unfortunately, my erectors always seem to tire out before my legs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:18 pm 
I'm seriously thinking about splitting up squats and deadlifts again, I'm just not sure how I'm going to do it. Both squats and deadlifts work quads, hamstrings, glutes and erectors, but with different emphasis. Squats are mostly quads and glutes, and deadlifts are mostly hamstrings and erectors.

I could try training quads on one day and deadlifts with hamstrings on another.

Another option would be to train quads and hamstrings together early in the week, but only go very light on either straight-leg deadlifts or good mornings to save my back for standard deadlifts later in the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:45 pm 
See "New New Split Routine" for more on this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

im on a 2 day split going every other day to the gym.
my weakness is my chest so i have been concentrating on it more than other parts but do not neglect anything.
i do it where i have alternating sets for 2 exrx's

workout A goes like this
1a incline db benchpress
1b front quat
2a flat db bench press
2b romanian deadlifts
3a seated cable row
3b stand cable fly
4a cable press
4b cable curl
5 cable push pull
6 swissball jackknife

workout B is like this
1a neutral grip incline db press
1b bb split squat
2a stand cable fly
2b stand cable ham curl
3a chinups
3b calf raise
4a db arnie press
4b db rear delt row (need to work this specifically since injury)
5 swissball pike

Perform each pair of exrx's (1A and 1B, 2A and 2B) as alternating sets, resting 45sec after each set and 1 min between each pair. 3 sets of each for reps 5-10. if just a number (5) do that exrx as straight sets. each workout is about 55-65min. with about 5 min warm of pushups and weightless squats and others.
on other days i swim, 2 for light laps, 1 just to play with family.
about every 2 weeks i take 3 days off completely to rest and recover.

on this split i have gained 10lbs of mass, increased chest by just under 8 inches, and have fun doing it. i have been on this since about end of january with slight changes in exrx's.

Post subject: REVERSE DEADLIFTS
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:24 am 
CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT A REVERSE DEADLIFT IS? THANKS

Post subject: Re: REVERSE DEADLIFTS
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:35 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

ACSTRENGTH wrote:
CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT A REVERSE DEADLIFT IS? THANKS

That's the name some people give to old school (barbell) hack squats