ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: raw meat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:47 am 
n00b
n00b

I just eat a raw lamb (100 gr) sandwich 1 hr before working and another after the workout. It's worked wonders for me.

a. There once was a recommendation on exrx.net to eat 3 oz of protein 1 hr before working out. That seems to have disappeared, but I still follow it.

b. In her book on exercise, Gina Kolata (writer for Science, NY Times) states that the strongest man in Victorian England ate lots of very rare beef and lamb.

I was in a Lebanese restaurant in Paris, and they served a Lebanese dish called kafta neyeh which is ground raw lamb with chopped onions and parsley. I have adapted the recipe slightly:

Recipe: Buy leg of lamb, bone, cut meat into 3 oz (100 gr) portions, wrap each piece in plastic wrap and freeze.

The day before workout, put 2 pieces in refrigerator to thaw. Next day remove and chop with a sharp knife.

I add (a) olive oil, (b) chopped onion (c) a little Dijon mustard (d) some Tabasco (e) some capers; and put on whole wheat bread. The entire process takes perhaps 15 minutes at most.

Note:
Humans evolved eating raw meat.
Cooking probably increases carcinogens
Cooking probably destroys any native growth hormones (hey, a lamb is growing, isn't it?)
<b> I do not buy ground meat, I chop it myself.</b> I think that's much safer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:18 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

You won't get an argument from me. Long before the food police showed up, it was quite common for athetes to eat raw meat. Paul Anderson did, a lot. Dr.Ken still talks about raw meat shakes. WhenI was lving in Danmark, it was quite commom to see a pork dish similar to the chopped lamb dish you described.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think there is anything wrong with eating it cook. But I don't think raw is a problem for lamb or beef either. I like my steaks medium rare. I have also eaten some gourmet dish I can't remember the name of, which was mostly thin strips of raw beef. It was very tasty. Some seafood is ok raw as well.

Just don't try it with chicken. There is a good chance you could get sick. Even pork has a small chance of getting you sick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:45 am 
n00b
n00b

There are several raw beef dishes.
Carpaccio (sp?) thin slices of raw beef - Italian
Steak Tartare -ground raw beef with egg yolk, some spices - French
Yook Hwe (sp?) thin strips (julienne) of raw beef - served with julienne of pears - Korean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, carpaccio, that's what I had. It's really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:58 pm 

Ughh...raw meat makes me want to vomit...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:46 pm 
n00b
n00b

There's no accounting for tastes.

The thought of protein shakes makes me nauseous. We evolved eating raw meat, not drinking shakes.

Post subject: Re: raw meat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:52 pm 

loebner wrote:
There's no accounting for tastes.

The thought of protein shakes makes me nauseous. We evolved eating raw meat, not drinking shakes.
in

Umm...raw meat is what kills people with food poisoning and whatnot. Humans have had fire to cook meat for a LONG TIME!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:18 pm 
n00b
n00b

The history of cooking meat is an instant compared to the length of time that humans, and proto-humans, have been eating raw meat.

Most cases of food poisoning come from pre-ground meat which has been allowd to thaw. The bacteria are mostly a surface phenomenon. When meat is ground, the surface area of the meat increases exponentially, providing surfaces for the bacteria to grow on, especially if the meat is not properly refrigerated. That's why I stated that I grind (chop, really) the meat myself.

There is an association between meat and cancer. However, to the best of my knowledge, there has been no control for the <b> cooking </b> of the meat. Charcoal broiling is a known carcinogen. I believe that cooking meat also produces carcinogenic modifications to the meat - denaturing the myoglobin, for example.

Raw meat is a staple of many cultures - Korean, French, Italian, Turkish, etc.

The fact that some meat may be unhealthy is actually a condemnation of US food inspection. Water can be quite deadly also, if sanitary practices are not followed. Do you boil your water before drinking it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:43 pm 

Well, I hope that you don't ever wake up to a tape worm crawling out your a$$...j/k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:21 am 

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Well, I hope that you don't ever wake up to a tape worm crawling out your a$$...j/k

That was my immediate thought. It's not a pleasent subject but in Austria they eat a lot of salted raw meat (speck) which is like ham.

Their toilets have a little shelf for you to poop on so that you can inspect your waste to ensure you don't have worms.

I wonder, are the health benefits gained from making a raw beef protein shake comparable to the risks associated with eating raw meat.

My personal preference is well cooked. But I guess everyone can eat what they like ... this is the great thing about a tolerant society :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:22 am 

Salted, is there issues w/ hypertension in Austria? Also thats pretty gross that you have to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:37 am 

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Salted, is there issues w/ hypertension in Austria? Also thats pretty gross that you have to do that.

I have absolutely no idea if there are problems with regards to the salted/smoked/raw meats.

I don't really like the stuff, I just always wondered why the toilet pan was designed in such a way as it's pretty disgusting, then when they explained why, I understood.

The Austrians tend to look quite physically good. I feel belittled by most of the average guys at my local gym, maybe its good genes, maybe its their lifestyle for the first 20 years of their life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:28 am 

Gentlemen, a little history here. Before refrigeration, there was salt. Great preservative because it kills bacteria. (Ham, sausage, speck, salt cod) Nartures refrigertor/freezer. That said, with these old fashion cures, you have to
know how to prepare it. Fish is soaked for a day or two, most of the cured ham is genly simered for long periods of time, usually with root veg to draw out the cure (salt). Daniel, speck is basically unsmoked bacon.
Most issues w/parasites these days aren't much of a oncern like they were a century ago;i.e trichinosis, etc. The meat packing industry ha comeup with ways of "superfreezing" in order to kill off parasites. Poultry, however, is still a concern w/salmonella.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:28 am 

TimD wrote:
Gentlemen, a little history here. Before refrigeration, there was salt. Great preservative because it kills bacteria. (Ham, sausage, speck, salt cod) Nartures refrigertor/freezer. That said, with these old fashion cures, you have to
know how to prepare it. Fish is soaked for a day or two, most of the cured ham is genly simered for long periods of time, usually with root veg to draw out the cure (salt). Daniel, speck is basically unsmoked bacon.
Most issues w/parasites these days aren't much of a oncern like they were a century ago;i.e trichinosis, etc. The meat packing industry ha comeup with ways of "superfreezing" in order to kill off parasites. Poultry, however, is still a concern w/salmonella.
Tim

Salting meats is a pretty common thing...but not cooking it and just salting it seems silly to me...we've been cooking meat for how long? I am not sure exactly...but if I remember right, over 50,000 years.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next