ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: my diet....improvements?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:41 pm 
5'10"
140 lbs
fat % - don't know

just started doing any kind of training for the first time a couple weeks ago. i'm doing weights ( round about 3 sets of 8) every other day and working my abs on the other days, with general cardio playing sports 3-4 times a week.

this is a typical day for me at the moment:

10am 2 weetabix full fat milk

12pm banana and tangerine

2.30 pm tuna sandwich

5 pm fruit yoghurt, banana and glass of full fat milk

8pm 2 grilled salmon fillets and baked beans

and usually a glass of milk before i go to bed.

if any could help me with my diet that would be great and much apreciated

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:33 am 

What are you trying to accomplish - get bigger or get smaller?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:37 am 
get bigger but i still want to keep my fat levels in check

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:38 am 
Eat 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Have your calories 300 to 500 above maintainance and chill out on the fruit and milk. You want to keep your intake of sugars natural or otherwise to a minimum. Have a whey protein shake before and after lifting weights. This should let you bulk pretty clean.

Abs should be part of your workout, not some seperate thing. They also don't need much direct work. Just work them the same as other muscles. They are just muscle tissue, not some magic space-age super muscle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:23 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I agree with Ironman, that adding a shake before and after workouts could help you.

I think your diet looks pretty good, but, wonder about all of that full fat milk. Why not cut that back to skim milk? or 2%? That would give you the chance to add some good whole foods, and some interest to your diet without increasing your fat intake..or by changing the quality of the fat anyway.

You'd be able to add in some stuff like avocado, which has great fats, and walnuts, almonds.

You can still get all of the protein you want out of the milk if it is skim, without the fat. Milk fat isn't that great for you, especially when you compare it with some other fats out there that you might want to enjoy.

Anyway, at least consider skim milk for your shakes!

dian in spokane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:17 am 
fat schmat. The lactose is what will spike his insulin and make his bulking less clean. He needs his calories up, so keeping his insulin in check will keep him from storing fat. A good substitue is unsweetened or splenda sweetened soy milk.

You know what though, I can't say I know what a weetabix is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:22 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Ironman wrote:
You know what though, I can't say I know what a weetabix is.

It's a large shredded wheat biscuit that people in the UK use as a breakfast cereal.

Go here to find out more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:14 am 
thanks for the comments guys

what is considered a lean meat? what's the max amount of fat it should have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:05 am 
If you are talking red meat, just look for some that doesn't have a lot of fat in it. Some of it is marked "lean" at the store and when you look at it, you see little to no fat marbled in.
As for the ammount of fat, there are different types of fat. For trans-fat, it is 0. Do not eat any, as it is not safe in any ammount. They try to trick you by rounding down to 0 when the portion size is small. If you see the word "hydroginated" weather it is partially or not, don't eat it. For any type of unsaturated fat, don't worry about it. You should be eating it. Your body actually needs this. From what I have read recently there are actually different types of saturated fat. It looks like only some of them may cause problems. I would not be that concerned abot it unless you have a cholesterol problem. Don't eat it with abandon, but don't be real worried about avoiding it.

If you do have a cholesterol problem, then you would need to keep the saturated fat low. However don't forget about the other part of it. Insulin has everything to do with cholesterol synthesis. Cutting the simple carbs will be a big part of that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:10 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Chicken and very lean beef. You should be able to get ground beef that is 90% lean, perhaps leaner (of course, it'll be more expensive). And chicken should have an amazingly small amount of fat in it, just check the labels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:38 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Lean schlmean!! he doesn't have to worry about EATING saturated fat...cuz he is drinking gallons of it!

""One cup of whole milk has as much artery clogging saturated fat as one hot dog, 5 strips of bacon, a Snickers candy bar, or a fast food hamburger!""

As long as you're drinking a gallon or two of whole milk every day, you might as well be pounding down the Big Macs and Ribeyes (though..personally, I'd rather eat the ribeye)

Ditch that whole milk, THEN worry about lean meat. (btw..2% also has saturated fat, go with skim)

dian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:04 pm 
He really shouldn't be drinking the milk at all, but I already told him that. Unsweetened or splenda sweetened soy is the way to go if you have to drink milk.

The saturated fat in dairy actually has some benefits. Like I was saying before there are different types of saturated fat.
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfat ... t_fat.html

Really if you are going to consume 11 grams of lactose (which you really shouldn't), you might as well get some myristic acid along with it.

More interesting information on fat.
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/taubes.html

This one is rather intersting too.
http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm

Remember insulin stores fat and plays a part in cholesterol synthesis. Not to mention some food has more overhead then others so to speak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:56 am 
i didn't realise milk had that much saturated fat. thanks for all your help i've slightly changed my diet based on your comments.

what do you think?

10: 2 weetabix with skimmed milk

12.20: banana or tangerine (not both)

2.40: tuna sandwich

5: 2scrambled eggs with a glass of skimmed milk

8: dinner ( fish or lean meats etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:41 am 
Alan, I gave you some guidelines earlier. You are not going to bulk at all on that diet. You will maybe lose a little weight. The calories look kind of low, you might jack your metabolism up. To bulk as quick as you can, you need 150 to 200 grams of protein, less means less size gain. Just to have a geuss, I think 2500 calories is about where you want to be to gain muscle. Like I have also said lower insulin levels from eating little to no simple carbs means less fat storage ability, therefore a clean bulk.

Look at bodybuilding.com or anywhere and you will see it is agreed you have to eat to grow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:21 pm 
could anyone give me an example of what they would eat in a typical day,
thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next