ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:01 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I was curious about the types and frequency of cardio exercises that are done by the members of this board. I realize that most people here are ironheads, but we all have to do cardio, don't we? ;-)

I do cardio 2 - 4 times a week, never for less than 30 minutes or more than 60 minutes. On a typical week, I average 2 hours of cardio. But lately, I've been playing with HIIT. I might go to 3 20-minute HIIT sessions a week (or 2 HIIT and 1 LSD) and see how that goes

My favorite options are, in order

Cybex elliptical
Stairmaster Gauntlet
Treadmill(15% grade, 4mph)
Versaclimber (although it's harder to find at NYSC)
Concept II Rower

I hardly ever use a bike, either regular or recumbant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:47 pm 

Other than basketball I rarely get in more than 1 30 minute session of cardio per week on a machine, if I even get that.

I lift 2-3 days per week for 1-1.5 hours.

I play basketball 2-4 times per week for 1-3 hour sessions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:32 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I pretty much only do urban cardio.

Basically all that means is sometimes I walk places, and sometimes I walk places that are upstairs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:19 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Stephen. I don't do any of the typical cardio, i.e the longer drawn out stuff. I can't run anymore due to issues with my hip, and not being able to take much impact (for some reason, if I'm stationary, the hip is fine, like squatting, I just have to watch the loading). I can get on my rower, but its more like HIIT. Also, In my weight routines, I do a lot of weighted and non-weighted non stop stuff (see my logs), wich is very similar to HOC or HIIT. I just can't stand sitting on an exercycle for 30 minutes or so.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:51 pm 
I only do cardio 1 day a week. I get a 20 minute session every Saturday. While I pick something harder to burn more calories, I just do the minimum 20 minutes for the benefit of my heart and lungs. I just figure if I have to do it I might as well burn the most calories possible.

The other 6 days a week I do anaerobic exercise. Three days of weight lifting and three days of HIIT.

Until like 6 months ago I never did anything but lift weights. I lost an insane amount of fat. I eat real clean though. However I have a royally screwed up metabolism from past dieting when I didn't know what I was doing. I did low fat and cut my calories kind of low. I ate all that garbage like rice cakes and weight watcher entrees that were full of sugar. All that being hungry made me very good at getting by on less. At the time I just didn't know any better. I also was prediabetic because of my carb addiction. So in other words I have to eat real clean.

I just do what is effective. So that is why I only do the minimum needed for my heart and lungs and do more effective things for altering my body composition. Some people say I don't even need cardio, that I can just do HIIT. You better beleive I'll drop the cardio altogether if I see conclusive proof of that. I think cardio eats muscle anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:39 am 

I lift about 6 days a week, and get little cardio. I play basketball once a week for about an hour, but that's mostly shooting, not running and driving the lane. Also, I compete in a frisbee league, so that's one or two 30 minute HIIT (well, intensity not that high) sessions. When I'm home for the summer I plan to do some swimming, and maybe some exercise biking too.

Post subject: clark
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:51 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]